First Cake Disaster (Frosting Just Fell Off!) *sob*

Decorating By cohenandlillysmom Updated 20 May 2008 , 10:25pm by missvaformer

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 3

I took way more than I could handle this week... 2 half sheet grad cakes, a suitcase cake, 1 wedding cake, and 2 b-day cakes. Did I mention its just ME!
Anywho, I saved the wedding cake til last because it was delivered last and I rushed it. I was up til 2am frosting it and had to decorate it completely the day of delivery! Well it was a warm day and apparently my frosting was too thin and it just fell off! And after that it was sooo unstable I had to take the tiers apart just to transport it the rest of the way. I SOBBED the whole way to the reception site. I had 20 mins to fix the disaster and the cake looked terrible!

Thank goodness the bride was understanding, I even offered a FULL refund and she is refusing (Im thinking I will send a gift card or something like that).

So I need to know a better way to stack the cakes, im just using cardboard cake boards... with wooden dowels. Please help, Im terrified this will happen again!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 3

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time with that delivery. Rushing can get you into trouble.

Sometimes, if the cake is very cold, and the icing is not, as it the cake warms, the icing with pull off.

I also think the hollow plastic dowels that Wilton makes are very stable supports, rather than thin dowels. The tiers tend to shift less.

One thing you can do to fix a disaster- I carry a cake comb. If the icing on the sides needs major repair, I comb it rather than trying to smooth it. I only had to use it once, but it was a life-saver. It wasn't exactly what was ordered, but it looked intentional rather than a disaster repair.

missvaformer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvaformer Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 3

something crazy happened like that to me when I tried to deliver a cake all stacked together. that is the LAST time I did that! now I always stack the cakes when I get there. and transport them safely in separate boxes.
When I arrived there later on to cut the cake, I was informed that a huge hunk of icing had fallen off the back of the cake thank goodness it was the back...but then again they had the cake table sitting Directly in the sun! so was it my fault or the sun's ? lol. amazingly this bride still orders cakes from me! guess my great baking saved me that time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%