Filling A 9X13

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 18 May 2008 , 9:09pm by puzzlegut

Reganlynn Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fill a 9x13 sheet cake? I attempted it last night, and it was a huge failure. How do you get the cake off and then back on again without it breaking? I have done it many times with the round cakes, but with this being bigger I can't use my hands to support it while moving back and fouth. Thank You.

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 3

Stick the cake in the freezer for about 30 minutes before trying to move the top layer. Carefully slide it onto a board or rimless baking sheet. Place the layer back in the freezer while you apply the filling. Slide the layer off the board onto the top of the cake.

I've seen a technique that involves cutting the top layer in half so you remove two 6-1/2x9 inch pieces rather than the long 13 inch piece, but I don't really think it's necessary and would rather not cut the top layer if I don't have to.

puzzlegut Posted 18 May 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 3

I just did this recently for the Mother's Day cake in my photo album. I used the cake mix extender recipe from this site and substituted half the sugar for a small package of dry instant pudding to help make the cake dense but still moist. I used my Agbay cake leveler and leveled it in half. I took a cookie sheet with no sides to take the top half off. I take stiff buttercream and pipe a dam around the edges of the cake and put my filling in the middle. Then I carefully tried to slide the top half back onto the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%