Crazy Light Fluffy Non-Crusting Bc - Recipes/help Please?

Decorating By laurascakedesign Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm by Butnerbarn

laurascakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurascakedesign Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 21

OK, so I flew out of town for my best friend's wedding, and of course, i scrutinized her cake, thinking I would find flaws. I didn't!!!! ARRR! the frosting the bakery used was very light and fluffy (almost the consistency of cool whip), and it didn't seem to have a crust on it at all. Also, IT WAS PERFECT. I have made plenty of cakes, and I know the flaws and coverups to look for, but I couldn't find ANY!!! WTF. It seriously looked like a machine had put it on. not even one little air bubble on a corner.....
So - does anyone know of a light fluffy NON crusting icing that might have been what they used? i am tired of little flaws in my BC and am willing to try anything to make my cake look like that. I'm feeling very inferior right now!!!

20 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 21

Could it have been a Swiss Meringue Buttercream or Italian Meringue Buttercream? Those don't crust and I believe with some practice you can get them VERY smooth.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 21

Yep, SMBC/IMBC is my guess.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 21

I agree - meringue based buttercreams taste like heaven and don't crust. It's all I use and I get very smooth cakes.

cadysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadysmom Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 21

I've tried making this type of buttercream and have had no luck at all. attempted four times in one evening for a cake the next day. ended up doing regular pwd sugar buttercream. was very disapointed.
any suggestions?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:50am
post #6 of 21

i too agree with the meringue bc. if your mixer is full and you do it on a very slow speed (second part of the process while adding butter) with the beater attachment and not the whisk, as well as keeping all the ingredients at the right temp, it will come out really creamy and few air bubbles. with smbc/imbc, there is no " cheating" though as far as smoothing it (viva towel, roller etc)...you have to just work on the skill of smoothing with a benchscraper and turntable instead.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:36am
post #8 of 21

cadysmom, what problems did you encounter, exactly? I find this icing a dream to make yet there are little nuances that can definitely cause your icing to be disastrous (I've dug myself out of said disasters more than once)! Would it not come together...did it just not taste right...couldn't get it smoothed properly...??? Let us know as there are many of us here who can't get enough of the stuff and we love to convert people icon_wink.gif

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 21

The most helpful tip I can offer to someone who hasn't mastered a meringue based buttercream is this - make it when you are not rushed or under time constraints. Once you master your first batch, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I like the buttercream recipes listed in the cake bible, but there are others out there that work well. Some essentials needed for the best results are a good candy thermometer, a nice heavy bottomed pot, and a good stand mixer... and if you have a scale that measures in ounces (or better yet grams), you're one step away from the perfect meringue based buttercream.

melysa Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

....Let us know as there are many of us here who can't get enough of the stuff and we love to convert people icon_wink.gif

heee heee heee icon_biggrin.gif

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #11 of 21

melysa - I was thinking of trying that recipe you linked above. Do you use the full 1/4 cup vanilla or do you reduce? Seems like an awful lot icon_smile.gif Thanks.

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #12 of 21

So did I do something wrong then?

I made SMBC once and it tasted and felt like slightly sweet whipped butter. I had dh take the cupcakes I made, frosted with the bc to work, and they did not go over well.

I don't have the exact recipe right now, but it is on you tube under 123 buttercream, or something similar.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:12am
post #13 of 21

I don't know if you're still looking for a crazy, light, fluffy buttercream, but I thought I'd post a recipe I tried a few weeks ago. It is very light and fluffy, but not nearly so buttery as SMBC and IMBC. I found it at https://www.surfasonline.com/products/39408.cfm , though I've seen a variation or two elsewhere, I believe.

The main negative (for me) about this recipe is that it was way too soft to make a decent rose*, but it did cover the cake nice and smoothly. It doesn't crust and it does have a consistency similar to whipped cream. Also, you'll notice that the recipe doesn't call for any flavoring. I think this is probably because their meringue powder (which is very good, BTW) already contains vanilla flavoring. I still added a bit more.

Anyway... I thought I'd post it, just in case...

BUTTER CREAM ICING:

Mix 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup boiling water; stir until completely dissolved. Cool.

Add 1/3 cup Meringue Powder and beat until it peaks.

Stir in one pound (4 cups) sifted powdered sugar and beat until well mixed.

Add 2 cups softened butter, margarine or white vegetable shortening, (1/2 cup more if you wish a softer, smoother consistency) and mix to desired consistency.

*I doubled this recipe, so the too soft consistency could somehow have been my fault. If I try it again, I'll probably make a smaller batch with less butter and shortening (I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening) for flowers.

Sorry this is so long! Good luck!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #14 of 21

Rincewind: How much buttercream will that recipe make?

Rincewind Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 21

MessiET - I think the original recipe would make around five cups, maybe a little less, but not much. I didn't realize how much it would make when I tried it, needless to say, I had plenty leftover.

Good luck.

Also, mjarvis78- my family doesn't love SMBC or IMBC either. But- I've mixed leftover SMBC with a shortening-based buttercream, and they found it perfectly edible... even good! So, if you have any leftover....

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:44pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks! I also forgot to ask, do you have to keep your cake refrigerated with this recipe?

Rincewind Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #17 of 21

I didn't, but I'm really not sure. I wouldn't think so... but if it the cake were in a very warm place, I think it can get a bit... wilt-y. Because, now that I think about it, I did refrigerate some cupcakes that I made with the leftover icing. The petals were definitely wanting to wilt. But then, my air conditioner has been struggling to keep up with this heat... so....

melysa Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:39am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemommy

melysa - I was thinking of trying that recipe you linked above. Do you use the full 1/4 cup vanilla or do you reduce? Seems like an awful lot icon_smile.gif Thanks.

its actually pretty good with that much vanilla, but i've begun reducing it to 1/8 cup (4 tb) and i still really like that. i also use brown sugar the majority of the time which adds a really punch of flavor so i dont mind saving the vanilla! i would suggest you try it with the lesser amount and if you want to, increase from there. you can always add more, but you cant take it out. let us know how you like it.

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #19 of 21

I made a couple of batches. You're right: it does need the vanilla. I used it on cupcakes for a family gathering. Everyone (except one child) really liked it. It was a little soft for decorations, so I'll try to use a little shortening next time. I do like the taste and the fact that it doesn't use PS (that stuff is so messy).

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #20 of 21

my mixer doesn't have a paddle attachment, just a whip and a dough hook. Am i doomed?

also is it okay to use a hand mixer to whip up the egg white and sugar mixture during the first step?

i would love to try this for my dad's birthday. TIA!

Butnerbarn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butnerbarn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #21 of 21

I think I will try one of the recipes listed in this forum, but my question is if this is a non-crusting icing, will it hold decorations? Like if I made a royal icing or a stiff buttercream rose, will this icing support them? I struggle with getting BC smooth and so I'm always looking for other options.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%