Ribbons - Grrrrr!

Decorating By tobycat Updated 28 May 2008 , 1:07am by ANicole

tobycat Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 23

I thought I had it all under control....

Silk ribbon so I put wax paper on the back. BUT, I didn't get it completely on every single little piece of the ribbon. I guess I just thought that if the bc did touch in those areas that it would only show a tiny dot of stain -- not the disaster that happened. The bc soaked through in random places and then BLED/SEEPED to make some really unattractive splotching! icon_cry.gif

It was my first time using ribbon like this, and I hope next time that I figure out how people do it so well. It was really embarrassing. icon_redface.gif It's in my pics, but the colors in the pic are so off that the ribbon looks brown or black. It was really dove grey almost silver. But, if you look carefully, you can see the splotching.

The only saving grace was that it was so hot that people hopefully just figured it was hot and that there wasn't a way to prevent it. But, I was pretty embarrassed.

22 replies
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 23

Ribbons are hard for me to do, too. Does anyone have an easier way to prevent this type of disaster??

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 23

You could try to put royal icing all over the back of the ribbon before you put it on the cake. That would give you a barrier to the grease, since there isn't any grease in the royal. That won't necessarily stop oil from seeping in at the edges, though.

I only do fondant ribbons unless it's a fondant-covered cake. I've also started using modelling chocolate for ribbons, which is a lot easier to pick up and put on the cakes than fondant is.

Shelly4481 Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 23

I could be wrong but I think it could be the satin ribbon. I did a cake (in my pictures) with black ribbon on the bottom of each tier and didn't have one spot show up. I didn't do anything to the ribbon. But I think the ribbon was a cloth/polester (sp) and I did the cake on a friday and it had plenty of time to crust well, put ribbon on the next morning. Delivered that night. Maybe a different type of ribbon would work. Worth a try.

KoryAK Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 23

I spray my ribbons down with Pam. Much harder to fight the grease!

ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 23

That's what I've done in the past, used Pam.

vdrsolo Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 23

I, too, only use fondant ribbon. It is completely food safe.

indydebi Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 23

I dont' have any real problems with ribbon, but I refuse to use satin .... used it ONCE ... and refuse to use it again.

brnrlvr Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 23

What do you do with the pam?

Janette Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 23

I remember seeing ribbon on one of the cake sites that was made special for cake decorating.

ANicole Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 23

I've only done it once, but I sprayed the whole thing in Pam. It really isn't a great option, honestly!

KoryAK Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #12 of 23

I think it IS a great option! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Yep, spray the whole thing down (outside)

Lesia Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:58am
post #13 of 23

I just pour about a tbsp of veg oil in a cup, coil up the ribbon and drop it in for a few minutes. Then when it is satured with oil, pull the ribbon between a folded paper towel to get the excess oil off. It will "cling" easily to the cake and will not show any grease spots. This is how I've always done it. I'll have to try that modeling chocolate thing tho! I've always had difficulty with fondant ribbons - maybe that will be an option for me!

mandm78 Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #14 of 23

I have put satin & water proof ribbon around buttercream cakes and it seems to work. I use pan liners cut to the same length & width of whatever ribbon I am using. So I end up with 2 ribbons per tier.....one of the actual ribbon and the other made out of pan liner paper. I place the pan liner ribbon on first & then place the actual ribbon on top of that. It can take some time to cut each ribbon out of pan liner paper ( or you can use waxed paper), but I'd rather do that then have the ribbon turn darker 'cause of the buttercream touching it.

toshaw Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:22am
post #15 of 23

We do fondant ribbon all the time at the shop. I like to roll the fondant out on a surface rubbed with shortening. Roll out the fondant in a really long snake and then use your rolling pin - starting in the center of the snake out and it will move easily. I then rub shortening over the flattened snake and then use your rolling cutter. Roll up the ribbon (the shortening keeps it from sticking to the other side) and if necessary, have someone hold and unroll your wound up ribbon (just like fruit roll ups or gum in a can). We've done it the same way with powdered sugar, but I don't like trying to get the extra powdered sugar off the roll once it is on the cake. The shortening makes the fondant ribbon shiny and helps it stick to the crusted icing or fondant. Hope this is clear.

TheCakerator Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #16 of 23

I have only used satin ribbon once, in my pics, but it worked fine, no grease spots. I have a wedding coming up in two weeks and she is wanting to use a dark red satin ribbon around the base of her cake and now I am getting nervous that it might end up looking blotchy. I think the veg oil is a good idea, but does that alter the taste of the cake the ribbon is up next too? The bride brought me the ribbon she plans on using around the cake, but took it back with her to give to her aunt who needs it to finish up the floral arrangements but there will be the same ribbon waiting at the hall for me to put on the cake so it won't go on the cake until the actual wedding day after delivery and set up.

indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #17 of 23
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

....but there will be the same ribbon waiting at the hall for me to put on the cake so it won't go on the cake until the actual wedding day after delivery and set up.

If you are using a crusting icing, you shouldn't have any concern at all. It's the "wet spots" on the icing that soaks into the ribbon. If the icing has crusted, there's no wet spot for the ribbon to absorb. I usually add ribbon upon assembly at the facility, so I have a nice crusted icing to work on. The only spot .. maybe ... is the one dot of BC in the back to hold the ends of the ribbon together.

TheCakerator Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #18 of 23

I am using the buttercream dream recipe off of this site but my cakes will all be frosted on friday and stored in the fridge until saturday, but delivery is almost two hours one way and then it will have to sit out until the wedding reception when its cut. Im not sure if the cake is going to end up sweating or what. Im very nervous about it. Does anyone have a nice crusting recipe where I won't be so worried about this happening?

TheCakerator Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #20 of 23

thanks for the recipe, I will have to make some this week to compare tastes, unless it is like buttercream dream? I see there is no butter added to this recipe and I can only find 0 trans fat crisco to use, this will still crust well and hold up? Thanks for any info ..

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #21 of 23

Part of why you will find so many CC'ers a fan of my recipe is because the zero trans fat crisco has no effect on it. Seriously, I had NO IDEA there was an issue with the ztf crisco until i read about it on CC. I noticed NO difference when crisco changed over. I was totally confused on why everyone was complaining so adamently about it. I shared my recipe and wow, it got great reviews!

TheCakerator Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 23

ok, I will make your recipe this week before the cake is due on a practice cake and see how it hold up, thanks!

ANicole Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #23 of 23

I just learned the secret to the ribbons thing!

The lady at the cake decorating store said you have to place your ribbon on waxed paper, then iron it. The wax transfers to the ribbon and prevents the grease from seeping through!

I always heard of people using waxed paper, but I always thought they taped it to the back, which seemed like it would be tedious, if not impossible. I'm such a dork!

Quote by @%username% on %date%