Help! Collapsing Football Helmet

Decorating By LanaC Updated 19 May 2008 , 7:14pm by tiptop57

LanaC Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 2

Okay, it's been one of those mornings. I've made helmets plenty and they've always turned out fine. This one ... anything that could go wrong, has. I forgot to thicken the cake since I would be carving it and the thing is too moist and has crumbled beneath the fondant. It looked okay last night. This morning, not so much. When cutting out the face part, I also cut at a bad angle and had to plug a piece of cake back in, making the lower layer weak. What do I do to stick this thing on top of another cake and have it stand up long enough for a birthday party? I'm afraid that the dowels will poke right through this thing if the helmet rolls during transport.

Here's the cake, two 10" rounds, football helmet made out of the ball mould on top. Fondant face mask, which hasn't been hooked on yet (thank goodness).

Right now, I've iced the underneath of that bad boy to death (where the cake was crumbing apart) and I've stuck it in the freezer, hoping the frozen icing will help support it. Any ideas?

1 reply
tiptop57 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 2

I'm sorry but your not going to like my answer, cut your losses and rebake it and make sure to use a durable or pound cake recipe that will hold up under carving.

As it stands now, even if you managed to get it to a table in one piece, ask yourself will it stay together through the event?

Probably not........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%