Drop Flowers, But In Royal Icing...not Working

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 19 May 2008 , 9:10am by Housemouse

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #1 of 16

So, I'm trying to make these drop flowers, but in Royal Icing instead of buttercream (I have to make like 700 of these things). I'm using tip 2D, but they either won't complete each petal or the whole thing lifts off the wax paper. I have no problem with these and buttercream, but since I needed 700 of them, I figured I could make them ahead of time before I need to use them...help! icon_cry.gif

15 replies
Housemouse Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:48am
post #2 of 16

Is is possible that maybe your RI mix is a touch too stiff and maybe needs a little more water?

Not sure if this will help

Housemouse

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 16

I tried that too??? It still lifted. I just don't want to do 700 drop flowers in buttercream on the day they need the cake!

shanasweets Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #4 of 16

not sure why your royal isn't working, but you could also do in buttercream and freeze on cookie sheet that way you can make a head of time.

Housemouse Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:58am
post #5 of 16

Okay, are you easing off the pressure before you lift the nozzle. I can't explain very well but sometimes I do what I call a quick 'one-two' action an easing off of the pressure and a sort of soft but quick downwards motion jab to halt the icing flow... reducing risk of the lifting away as you move the tip away...

these are days when you wish you had a video-cam installed..

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 16

How long can they be frozen? This would be great!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 16

Make them in buttercream and allow them to air dry for a few days before you need them icon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 16

Yes, I am easing officon_smile.gif I had just never done it with RI before, I'll guess I'll have to do it with buttercream...now I have all of this RI! I guess I'll make some rosesicon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 16

I'm confused on why you think you can only do BC flowers the day of the event? I use BC for everything ... icing, borders, flowers, you name it. I can't even figure out why RI would ever be used.

As mentioned above, let them air dry .... do not freeze them. Anything that is frozen will melt when removed from the freezer ... see any thread on FBCT to confirm this when CC'ers will tell you have you to work fast to get the FBCT on the cake before it starts to melt. Air drying the flowers also removes the moisture from them, which makes them lighter in weight ... they stay ont he cake better (not so heavy that they fall off).

I make BC flowers days and days in advance ... let them air dry and they are fine. I never screw around with RI ... haven't used it in years and years. I just don't see any advantage to it over BC.

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 16

I'm fairly new to this Indydebiicon_smile.gif I will be doing buttercream, thanks so much for your help!!

playingwithsugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 16

Brenda,

You must make sure you are using a crusting BC for the air drying technique to work. SMBC or IMBC will not work with this.

Also, you might want to try piping your flowers on parchment paper instead of waxed paper.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 16

Yes, I only use crusting buttercream (not a fan of smbc).
I'm heading to walmart in awhile, I'll pick up a roll of parchment! Thanks!

Housemouse Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 16

I've screwed around plenty with RI so come at things from the perspective of the advantages of RI over BC but.... as ever it all depends on what it's being used for or placed onto.

RI can be a problem if placed directly onto BC and there have been posts about that on here in the past, with people experiencing their RI pieces dissolving or softening.

Housemouse

Cakepro Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 16

All you have to do is tape your wax paper to the cookie sheet or whatever firm surface you're using under the wax paper.

Cake_Princess Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemouse

I've screwed around plenty with RI so come at things from the perspective of the advantages of RI over BC but.... as ever it all depends on what it's being used for or placed onto.

RI can be a problem if placed directly onto BC and there have been posts about that on here in the past, with people experiencing their RI pieces dissolving or softening.

Housemouse

I think part of the issue is people in N.A. do not have quite as much experience with Royal Icing as compared to those in the U.K.

Housemouse Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:10am
post #16 of 16

worried in case I sounded 'snotty' but wasn't being sniffy about BC. I'm a fan of RI cos I'm a disaster with BC and there wasn't an item or surface that didn't have some BC evidence over it when I tried covering a cake with it and as for my FBCTs I don't know I'll ever live those down.

Apologies for going off on a tangent - and I hope that the OP solved her problem!

House Mouse

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%