Coloring Buttercream Icing???

Decorating By candynumber1 Updated 18 May 2008 , 7:16pm by TexasSugar

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 18 May 2008 , 5:23am
post #1 of 3

What am I doing wrong? after I add the concentrated color to my icing I get these white specks throughout the frosting, as if it's not blending well together. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Can anybody help?

2 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 3

I seem to recall a Wilton instructor saying that if you don't let the salt dissolve in your icing that you'll get white specks when its colored. Do you have salt in your icing? If so I suggest you try warming your liquids for your icing and dissolving the salt in the warm liquids. Then add the warm liquids to your creamed fat. Mix till it stops sloshing around. Then add your powdered sugar.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 3

There are two kinds of spots I can think of in icing.

One of them is when I am making dark colors and have to add alot of coloring. This seems to turn speckled like it is sperating after I get it in the bag. I have gotten to where I add in some cornstrach when doing darker colors (especially black and red) and that seems to help me.

The other spots happened for a few other reason. These are larger more spread out spots and tend to happen more often in purple, pink or blue icing. Purple icing will get blue spots, pink and blue tend to be white spots. These can be from the salt (if you use it), it could also be from lumps in powder sugar/crisco or the minerals in the water. Usually I have found it is the water. The spots will appear about 30 mins after the icing is made. Good thing is that once you stir them back in, they don't reappear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%