Frozen Buttercream Transfer...

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:38pm by maurerba

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #1 of 12

Frozen buttercream transfer...where have you been all my life?!?

I'm SO happy I finally gave it a try. Below are the before and after pics. Dora was done with star tip, Ariel was fabulously frozen and transferred!
LL
LL

11 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 12

Both cakes look great, but Ariel does look a bit better icon_biggrin.gif You do fantastic work.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 12

Very nice work. I know once i learnt other techniques in decorating I have never looked back to using a star tip to make an image. It is too darn time consuming and you just don't get the precise detail to make it look crisp and neat. I'm glad you've discovered something new and clearly your current work is lovely.
suz

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #4 of 12

Your transfer looks fantastic. I have to ask though, did you do the entire top of the cake or just Ariel? If you just did Ariel, how did you get your transfer so level with the top of the cake? I have a problem with not making mine too think. I also have a hard time getting the background smooth. How did you do it? Thanks for sharing. Your work is terrific.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 12

both your cake look really good. i do love the fbct one.. very neat.....

pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 12

thanks everyone!!

cookinmama, when I read the directions on FBCTs I saw that it said to surround the image with the same background color as the cake...but I skipped that step. Ariel was outlined with tip 3 black and filled in with tips 2-4 depending on color. the icing was NOT thick at all, in fact the tip of her tail snapped during placement because I tried to rearrange her too many times. This way, though, the image sits nice and flush on the cake.

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:32am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottedmeatchunks

thanks everyone!!

cookinmama, when I read the directions on FBCTs I saw that it said to surround the image with the same background color as the cake...but I skipped that step. Ariel was outlined with tip 3 black and filled in with tips 2-4 depending on color. the icing was NOT thick at all, in fact the tip of her tail snapped during placement because I tried to rearrange her too many times. This way, though, the image sits nice and flush on the cake.

I had always wondered about doing that. I have no problem getting the actual image to be fairly thin and I definitely can get that smooth. I think I will have to try it that way next time. Thanks so much.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 12

awesome! love your borders! thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 12

How did you make her smooth? Every fbct I've tried results in noticable lines in the image. I've tried smoothing out the back but it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Should I Melvira it next time?

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

How did you make her smooth? Every fbct I've tried results in noticable lines in the image. I've tried smoothing out the back but it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Should I Melvira it next time?

I always have lines too and for that reason I don't use FBCT as much as I could. Please tell us how to get rid of the lines.
After you place the image on the cake do you do some kind of touch up?

pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 12

All I did was smooth the back of the image with a paper towel. Not sure if I did anything different than what you guys did.

maurerba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maurerba Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 12

The way to get a FBCT with no lines is to thin your frosting with corn Syrup so you can Flow it in. It takes it a little longer to set up once applied but well worth it. If you look at my pictures my Toy Story, Buckeye, and Spiderman cakes are all FBCT. I LOVE THEM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%