Preventing Cracked Icing ??

Decorating By wykenzmom Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:17am by wykenzmom

wykenzmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wykenzmom Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have an icing recipe that doesn't crack? Or perhaps maybe some techniques to prevent the icing from cracking. Someone told me that boiled icing won't crack......anyone else agree? I've only made buttercream recipes. I've never ventured out with boiled icing. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
 janebrophy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #2 of 8

I've never had icing crack, but I think it happens when it is too dry. Try adding a bit more liquid...HTH!
Jane

Tona  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 8

Add a couple of drops of vinager to your icing this will prevent cracks and can not be tasted in the icing.

JenniferMI  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 8

Icing can crack when there is play in your boards.... make sure they are VERY sturdy, no movement what so ever when you pick it up.

Jen icon_smile.gif

southerncake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Icing can crack when there is play in your boards.... make sure they are VERY sturdy, no movement what so ever when you pick it up.

Jen icon_smile.gif

I agree. If I don't use a thick enough board (especially with sheet cakes), I sometimes will have cracking.

icer101  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 8

yes, make sure your icing is smooth and creamy like..... not thick and dry.... whatever icing recipe you use..... then make sure you double or triple your boards or cut you own using foam core boards..... they do wonderful under larger cakes .... plus when i move my cakes, i put one hand at the side of the board and the other arm and hand under the middle of the board... when the customer picks them up, i then tell them, to handle them the same way..... they usually appreciate this tip.....

1234me  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 8

I agree with the others - the solution is more with your boards than anything else!

wykenzmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wykenzmom Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the replies! Interesting about the vinegar. I'll give that a try and I think I'll invest in thicker boards too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%