Wish Me Luck...

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 12:19am by stephanie214

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 23

I will be teaching cake decorating starting this Saturday. If anyone have any suggestions, please let me know. The closer I get to Saturday, I feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. lol

I also have to do the Winnie the Pooh carousel cake and set that up Saturday also.

The following Saturday, I have the whole sheet with Batman plus the class.

The week after that, I have another Winnie the Pooh Carousel to do plus the class.

I love a good challenge icon_cry.gif

Don't forget to give suggestions on the classes.

22 replies
SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 23

Breathe. Inhail. Exhail. Never stop! LOL. I'm sure you'll do great in class. Just remember, they are all nervous about it too, so they are not going to notice anything you might not do "perfectly".

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 23

I taught Wilton classes for awhile and I was extremely nervous the first couple times. Just remember, your human, they're human, everyone makes mistakes, just dont let them see ya sweat!! Good Luck!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 23

Relax you will be fine icon_smile.gif . Just remember that everyone learn at a different pace. What I liked about my Wilton instructor was that she was very patient and she answered all of our questions. She never made you feel like your question was stupid. (and some of them were). icon_biggrin.gif Good luck and all the best. I wish I had the B_lls to be an instructor.

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:13am
post #5 of 23

Thanks everyone, after hearing from you, I feel more relaxed...a little lol.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:50am
post #6 of 23

Wishing you MUCH luck!! You'll do fine!! Don't worry!!!!

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:07am
post #7 of 23

Thanks tcturtleshell.

I left you a post today about your rocking turtle.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 23

You are going to do great, you have a nice way with people! Get everything ready ahead of time and double check that you have everything so you aren't rushing around at the last minute. This will take some pressure off. All the best of luck!
Hugs Squirrely Cakes

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 23

I just had my first wilton class on tuesday. The only advice I can suggest is when a student gives a special tip or offers another way to do something act like you care (even if you don't). My teacher wouldn't listen to what this one lady was saying, and it was a good tip. The teacher was like, 'well I do it this way.' Basically I felt like she was saying, "it is either my way or no way"!!!
She did not make a good impression to me!!!

I wish you luck stephanie!!! Just Breathe.

karent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karent Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 23

Good Luck - I agree with momoftwogirls always give the students the impress that they are very important.

Most of all -- the class is for fun. When I taught that was one of the first thing I told everyone, we are here to have fun and the pace of the class would be set by the students.

One other item that I found helpful, I made a list of the the items they would need each week, a description of the cake they would be working on the following week and a reminder to make the colors at home. This was handled out at the end of each class. All this is in the book -- but they never read it!!

You will do a great job!!!

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 23

Hi everyone,

I can't begin to describe how much I appreciate your support and advice. When this opportunity came up for me I was hesitant but my sister kept telling me that I could do it.

Will definitely listen and learn also. I had a horrible Wilton Instructor and I know the frustration that you feel!!!

Yes, I am a down to earth person that enjoys a good laugh and fun. I don't have time for fussing and arguing when I can be happy and just go with the flow.

Once again, thanks so much and keep your eyes and ears open for my out-cry for help and advice. icon_cry.gif

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 23

I found it extremely helpful to have a class "itenerary" laid out showing my "guesstimates" of when I should start moving on to the next thing (giving PLENTY of time for practice and questions), what tip and consistency each thing needed and the time it could take. Then, I just used it as a list for what to cover next and pretty much threw the timetable out the window! icon_lol.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 23

Best of luck Stephanie .. I know you'll do great ... just go over the lessons and be prepared and you'll do a great job as a teacher!!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:39pm
post #14 of 23

WISHING THE BEST. YOU WILL DO FINE - JUST RELAX AND GO WITH THE FLOW!

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 23

Thanks so much. I'm glad that I won't be on a timetable because everyone move at different paces and I'll be able to let them continue until they feel comfortable. Such as, we might work on borders for two or three sessions instead of the one that my instructor did.

And it will be fun because I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable and not ask if they don't understand something.

KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN FOR ME icon_cry.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:17pm
post #16 of 23

Good luck I hope you get a class of quick learners!!

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 23

Very funny meme...love it to death!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 23

Good Luck! And remember, they know very little and have little to no skills, that's why they are there. So you are way ahead of them with your experience. And you wouldn't have been asked to do the class if you weren't great at doing cakes! Have fun!!! I loved my Wilton classes and instructor. Was sorry they were over and wish there were more classes offered so that I could get more skills.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 23

Good Luck! And remember, they know very little and have little to no skills, that's why they are there. So you are way ahead of them with your experience. And you wouldn't have been asked to do the class if you weren't great at doing cakes! Have fun!!! I loved my Wilton classes and instructor. Was sorry they were over and wish there were more classes offered so that I could get more skills.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 23

You will be a great teacher!!! What you might do is think about when you first took the classes...and then figure out what helped you the most. Good luck...and let us know how it goes!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

stephanie214 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:18pm
post #21 of 23

Will do thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm
post #22 of 23

Stephanie, didn't see the post about the turtle. Where is it? Is the big night tonight?

stephanie214 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:19am
post #23 of 23

Hi tcturtleshell,

The post is titled "Hey TC".

Saturday @5 p.m.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%