Warren Brown Cake Love Cookbook...any Reviews?

Decorating By MOBOGAL Updated 19 May 2008 , 10:09pm by MOBOGAL

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all icon_smile.gif

I browsed through the new Cake Love cookbook at the bookstore the other day and was definitely intrigued. He's very informative, and the cakes look gorgeous, but the recipes use some exotic ingredients and some are quite complicated. Also, I've read some pretty negative review of the Cake Love bakeries cakes etc. Has anyone tried their cakes or used this cookbook and can weigh in either way? I'm just curious before I spend the money on a cookbook that doesn't have GREAT recipes. Thanks for any tips!

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 6

The only tip I can give you is to sign up for the e-mail newsletter at borders and barnes and noble, and buy the book when you get a good coupon.

I've heard the same review about the taste of his cakes, but only my tastebuds will decide for me. I suggest you look at it the same way. You may find his recipes a bit on the fringe because of the exotic ingredients, but as long as the base remains the same, any recipe can be tweaked to one's liking.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 6

I just got the book today, but I haven't made any of the recipes. But I'm very excited to try them. I didn't think there were any real exotic ingredients and there are some really good ideas in the book for flavor combinations. One thing I liked was at the beginning of each section there are pictures of what that particular batter should look like when you are mixing it. I'm always wondering if what I'm making looks like its supposed to and now I will know. I"ll let you know when I try a recipe.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

I bought the book as well, but haven't tried anything yet.

As far as his cakes...I visited his bakery and found the cakes to be dry as well.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6

Though I can't wait to get the book, I've unfortunately had the same experiences at the cafe and bakeries. icon_sad.gif I'm not writing him off by any means, though. I am hopeful that I have simply not found a flavor that I appreciate.

I listened to his demo at last year's Mid Atlantic Cake Show and he seemed like a wealth of knowledge.

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the insight. I may hold off until I can hear some reviews of the recipes icon_smile.gif I hope they're great...they certainly look beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%