How To Keep Bubbles Out Of Cookie Icing?

Baking By busymom9431 Updated 19 May 2008 , 9:11pm by Jenn123

busymom9431 Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone help me? It isn't on every cookie but I sometimes get bubbles in the icing when I am flooding the outline I just made. Do I just need to let it sit for a few minutes after mixing or what? Thanks!

8 replies
bonniebakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 9

Try letting it sit, covered, for a little while after mixing it. The air bubbles will rise to the top. Then, you can carefully stir it slightly or remove the air bubbles from the top and use what's left. You can also keep a toothpick handy to pop any remaining bubbles when you ice the cookie.

KathysCC Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 9

I think some bubbles are inevitable no matter how careful you are making the icing. Sometimes there is trapped air in the cookie itself that will rise up. I agree with bonniebakes, keep a toothpick handy to pop any supected bubbles while icing the cookies.

GeminiRJ Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #4 of 9

When I smooth the icing with an off-set spatula, I never get bubbles. For outlines, I use a very small tip. If the area is too small to smooth and I just flood, I sometimes get bubbles that were not visible before the icing set, even after dragging a toothpick thru the area. I agree with KathysCC...air bubbles are inevitable.

JenWhitlock Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 9

another thing that I just figured out is for really small or narrow areas - don't overfill. it seems that if I mount the icing too much in a small area it edges dry quickly and the center bursts. if I keep the volume down so it doesn't mount up it doesn't do this.

of course it took 11 out of my last dozen to figure this out icon_rolleyes.gif

and yeah, have a toothpick and watch for those little bubbles and pop them right away. icon_lol.gif

busymom9431 Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys! I am glad it isn't just me. I will try to be more patient next time.

zoraya Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 9

I like to make my icing the day before. You'll be amazed at how many bubbles rise to the top overnight. That and a toothpick when your decorating should take care of it but you'll always have a few you miss. Just eat those!! icon_lol.gif

Yomomma Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 9

Another trick that helps is to keep your tip under the icing flow (next to the cookie) when flooding. I also don't mix my icing as long as most instructions require.

Jenn123 Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 9

This happens sometimes if your icing is too wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%