Copyright Laws: What Are The Boundaries Exactly

Decorating By cakesbyshell Updated 17 May 2008 , 8:26pm by mbelgard

cakesbyshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyshell Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm relatively new to selling cakes and I know I cannot sell cakes made with licensed pans (Dora, Pooh, etc) but what are the rules as far as pattern transfers, frozen buttercream transfers and things of that nature? I've been doing a lot of weddings and common cakes but I'm starting to get calls for specialty cakes like Dora and I want to make sure that I don't break any laws.
Thanks!

4 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 5

You can't reproduce any copyrighted material, transfers break the laws as much as selling a cake made in a character pan.

You can make a cake in the same theme, for examply you could make a generic pirate ship for a Pirates of the Carribean party or a castle for Cinderella.

If the parents wanted they could purchase a toy to place on the cake, I'm not sure if you would be allowed to stick it on for them but I'm pretty sure that you can't buy the toy and then sell it to them. They do make some toys that work really well for cakes and kids love having something to play with after. My boys would much rather have me make something that has a couple toys on it than a transfer or whatever even if it is for home.

cakesbyshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyshell Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 5

I thought that's how it went but wanted to be sure. The last lady that called wanted Dora and I told her I couldn't do a Dora but if she had some figurines I would gladly make a scene and use her figurines and she was fine with that. I just wanted to clarify for future reference.
Thanks

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 5

it's just when you sell them that copyrites come into play, right? Food network does copyrighted stuff all the time (although I'm sure they have the $$$ to pay for the license too). Is it b/c they don't sell it? (But then what do you do with a 5' sock monkey icon_biggrin.gif !?!)

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercreamkisses

it's just when you sell them that copyrites come into play, right?

You can make what you want so long as you don't take any money for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%