Traditional All Buttercream Wedding Cake Pics....

Decorating By noosie Updated 18 May 2008 , 7:40pm by 4starcakes

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 14

Hey Guys,

I am trying to replicate an all buttercream very traditional wedding cake from a 50 year old black and white pic. I am really having a tough time seeing the detailed piping done. If anyone has any pics of a traditional all bc wedding cake they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it. It may help me with some piping ideas.

TIA thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
noosie Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 14

anyone... icon_redface.gif

noosie Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 14

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif no 1950's wedding cake pics out there icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry, I don't have anything, but here's a bump for you! Good luck!
<S>

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #5 of 14

I had this site bookmarked for the border instructions (thanks to someone here [for posting the link], I'm sure.). I noticed that they have a few pages of wedding cakes. I think they may be from that era, but I'm not sure. http://www.cake-decorating.us/wedding-cakes.html

Good luck!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 14

On ebay I've seen several Wilton books from the 50's... and they were selling for like $3

noosie Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 14

Thank U guys! Both resources will definitely help!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #8 of 14

I have done lots of wedding cakes during the 70's, not a lot of difference. My only problem is, they didn't have digital cameras then and my scanner isn't working.

They did use a lot of garland on the sides though, usually made with a 104 tip. There was a lot of over piping also. We used to first make a zigzag garland using a #17 tip, then went over that with a #104 and made it a ruffle, then you went over that ( so the lower edge still showed) and we made a straight ribbon still using the #104 then you made string work over that using a #3 tip.

noosie Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #9 of 14

Thanks BCJean! This style has a double garland and what look to be large "tear drops" in between the garland loops. There also seem to be roses centered on the top edge of the tier lined up with each "dip" of the garland. The alternating tier has either bows, leaves or perhaps even more roses directly in the center of the tier. I just can't seem to tell what they are...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_48797.html

This is the closest pick I found on cc that resembles the design of one of the tiers on the cake.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #10 of 14

I took a little break and missed your post. The cake you showed a picture of, has a straight ribbon scallop on the bottom, using a #104 tip and a ruffled scallop above that, using a #104 and jiggling it in a zigzag pattern, above that. It also appears there is a row of tiny shells at the very top of the ruffled ribbon, using a #14-17tip. The tear drop is made using the #104 and tilting it so the large end is pointing down and the tip is straight down on the cake. You then just squeeze out the tear drop shape. (that is how I make the petals of my daisies.)
The scallops are spaced so there are 8 to each tier and the rose is placed in the center of the scallop (on the top of each tier). You put the roses on everyother scallop so you have 8 scallops and 4 roses or clusters of roses.
I am attaching two pictures which I have showing how to make the straight ribbon and the ruffled ribbon.
HTH
LL
LL

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:34am
post #11 of 14

here are a couple of pics I have in a old wilton book.
LL
LL

noosie Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:53am
post #12 of 14

You guys are the best! Thank you for taking time out to help me with this cake design. Have a great weekend!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 14

Here is the cake from my in-laws wedding in 1958...
LL

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 14

I know I already posted these pics was i was able to get a clearer image.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%