I Need A How To On Making Lightening Mcqueen..

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 17 May 2008 , 6:16pm by KrisD13

doublecz1103 Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 2

does anyone know how to make a cake look like lightening mcqueen fro disney's "cars"?? i need help!

1 reply
KrisD13 Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 2

Here's a copy of an email I sent to someone else who needed tips on making Lightning. It includes her questions and my replies. Hope it helps! icon_biggrin.gif

You used the wilton pan for your car right? I used the Wilton Funny Car 3D pan.

How many boxes of mix did you use for him? I just used one box of cake mix but I used the extender mix from CC. The one with the extra flour, sour cream/yogurt. It increases the volume by just the right amount.

Did you use premade fondant for the red or did you dye mmf? I know I can use no taste red but still worry about the taste. I made the mmf. But you could use the premade if you want. Just remember if you color it yourself, do it a few hours in advance because it will deepen a bit (think of it as a curing process). Or you could get a can of the red spray, if you are worried about the taste.

Do you think I could use edible images on gumpaste for the logos and stuff? I am not good at piping things! If you have easy access to the edible images, why not? I don't, so I piped them. I just tried to make sure the images were printed out close to size I figured I needed.

How did you make the tires? Did you use gumpaste with them? Yep, the fastest drying way would be the 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix. I colored them black, figuring about 2 - 2 1/2 inches across for that size pan. Made them round and flattened, then really flattened the inside area while laying on the table. I flipped them over and pushed that inside area down again. That way, it was a little more flat across the entire tire. Do this ahead of time, like the day before. I left the tires off until just before taking the cake out to the table and lighting the candles. Then attached by piping some icing on the back of the tire and standing up against the side of cake. Then I flattened a piece of red, piped a dot of icing inside the indent of the tire and placing the red hubcap in there.

I know that is a lot of questions but I am late getting started!! It's not that much...see? No problems. icon_biggrin.gif Just take one step at a time. When I was planning this cake out, I was feeling very overwhelmed, so that's how I got through it. Do this one step, next, next, next.....and before I knew it, I was done, and it looked awesome.....even to me! icon_razz.gif (I'm a perfectionist, so that's kind of difficult to wow myself!) But it went so well and so fast once I broke everything down to one step at a time.

Good Luck and Have Tons of Fun. It will look great, don't worry!

If you have any questions let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%