Would Like To Know Why Fondant/rbc Needs Aging

Decorating By pamconn Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:34pm by pamconn

pamconn Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 6

What happens when you don't let your fondant or rolled buttercream age for 24 hours before using?

5 replies
VannaD Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

i think you let fondsnt set for 24 hrs simply b/c it will be easier to work with, after first mixing its a little sticky, i could be worng though. I have no idea about the RBC, never used it before. Good luck finding the answer

BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 6

If you make your own fondant, letting it rest for 24hrs. allows the ingredients used to make it stretchy and smooth sort of "get their act together" throughout the entire mix. After it's rested and then re-kneaded, those substances should be very evenly distributed.

I think of it like spaghetti & marinara sauce--it's good right off the stove, but I think it's always much better after it's been refrigerated for a day & then re-heated--the flavors are stronger and more uniform and I like the texture much better.

As for RBC--I didn't get the memo on letting it rest, so.........I don't. I have frozen it and then defrosted it to use--and I hate it--watery, needs lots of extra PS kneaded into it, etc. I make it up, get it to the doughy stage I like, roll it out between sheets of parchment paper, freeze or refrigerate the rolled out piece, let it warm up just enough to flex but not crack, and then apply it. It works very well for me. Given the ingredients in it (no drying or "stretching" stuff), I don't really know why it's recommended.

Just my .02
Rae

pamconn Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your replies. That makes sense. I'll keep following directions!

Sugarflowers Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:12am
post #5 of 6

For the most part, if you try to use fondant straight away, it will not stretch properly and can be somewhat crumbly. It can also make you nuts with trying to get it to work!

The time allows the gelatin to absorb the moisture and like BlakesCakes said, it give the fondant better flavor and for the ingredients to be evenly distributed.

Try this recipe and see what you think: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Michele

pamconn Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 6

Michele,

That is what I just used! Thank you for explaining the hows and whys. Sometimes it's just nice to understand why a recipe says to add an ingrediant in a certain order or why some ingrediants need to be at room temperature...makes it easier to follow and not take shortcuts or forget something.

Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%