How Do I Make Ice For A Beer Cooler Cake??

Decorating By dandy207 Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:11am by Jenn123

dandy207 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 15

The plan is to make a beer cooler with 1 coors light beer in the ice. But How the heck do I make ice??!! I do have an airbrush, I dont know if that would help. Any ideas for something somewhat realistic??

14 replies
Melody25 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 15

Use sugar. I'll have to look but I have a recipe somewhere for a sugar mixture that you cook in the microwave you can then poor it out on crumbled aluminum foil (sprayed with non stick spray) and you let it cool. Once its cool you can break it up an it looks like ice. Let me go find it.

Melody25 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 15

OK here it is...

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Mix in a 2 cup glass measuring cup and place in microwave. Microwave mixture for 6 minutes at 50% power. Stop here for the ice. pour it out on the crumpled aluminum foil and let cool. (or you could try to spray a plastic ice cube tray and let it cool, but I dont know if the plastic would melt.)

To make it darker (the color of a beer bottle) micro at full power 2-3 minutes longer depending on how dark you want it. It will continue to darken after you take it out.

JessicaCooper Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 15

I have seen people use hall clear square cough drops as a shortcut

susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 15

I used this recipe for my beer cooler cake. Very easy and very effective!

The only thing that I didn't like was that it was a little yellowy (maybe I microwaved just a bit too long...) but I was the only one that seemed to notice - and I always find something wrong with EVERYTHING I make. I'm a frustrated perfectionist.

dandy207 Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

To make it darker (the color of a beer bottle) micro at full power 2-3 minutes longer depending on how dark you want it. It will continue to darken after you take it out.

Ok, wait, so I can use this to make the beer bottle??? If so, how do I handle it with it being so hot, and how would I do this???
Love to here more. Ill definitly use this recipe for the ice, thank you sooo much!

Melody25 Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

Ok, wait, so I can use this to make the beer bottle??? If so, how do I handle it with it being so hot, and how would I do this???

You have to make a mold of the beer bottle out of rubber latex. I got the how to from someone on here (sorry can't remember who right now) I'll look and see if I still have it in my PM's

fiddlesticks Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 15

Was it SweetResults??

Price Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 15

When I made my bottles, I tried using the rubber latex, but it was just too flimsy and hard for me to work with. I ended up buying some "Amazing Mold Putty. at Michaels. It is food safe and worked wonderfully. I have a picture of the cake with bottles in my gallery. I just used a beer bottle and made the mold around it. The mold holds its shape and stands on its own. I made the sugar recipe as suggested in previous posts and then slowly poured sugar into the mold as I kept turning the mold. after I got the inside of the mold completely covered, I was able to stand the mold up until the sugar hardened. I split the mold about 1/2 way up to release the sugar when it was hard. I use rubber bands to hold the mold back together and was able to reuse it over and over.

When pouring the sugar you have to be very careful, it is extremely hot and will easily burn you if you happen to splash it on your skin. I worked in rubber gloves. HTH

Melody25 Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 15

Yes that was it! Thanks for Posting

Price Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 15

oh, sorry, forgot to mention. I used the champagne jello for ice. I made it like the jello jiggler recipe and just cut it into cubes. Worked well, but probably wouldn't be the greatest on a really hot day!

fiddlesticks Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 15

Amazing Mold Putty I love this stuff to ! I also found mine at Michaels !

dandy207 Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:52am
post #14 of 15

YAY!! Ive got some GREAT ideas, I read that WHOLE link to the bottle making instructions.
My only question is this...
Do you think for the labels on the candy bottles I could use fondant?? I dont have a printer to make edible images. And would I just dab on some water to hold the fondant label on the bottle??

Thank you soo soos soo much!!!

I will post pictures when i am done. icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn123 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:11am
post #15 of 15

For labels you can use anything! I've peeled real labels off bottles, edible image, laminated paper, and fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%