I Love Hi Ratio Shortening...hate Crisco

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 18 May 2008 , 12:32am by SeriousCakes

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 12

I had to make 2 graduation cakes yesterday and had only enough high ratio shortening to make 1 batch of icing. so I had to make the other batch with crisco. I WISH I had taken a picture of the two icings to show the difference! The crisco batch had tiny lumps in it and just didn't mix right. The high ratio batch was creamy and beautiful. I had never compared the two before but the difference was amazing. I will nevr go back to crisco again!!!

11 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 12

Can I get an AMEN!

Same thing happened to me yesterday! Was doing a 16th birthday cake. I bake at my church's kitchen and if I happen to "run short" in the middle of baking I'll borrow the stuff there and then replace it!

SOOOO, I ran out of hi ratio too and thought, "Okay, I'm in a hurry and since it's only ONE batch to cover a base cake...Yep! Used the Crisco!" I KNEW better! It almost NEVER crusted wouldn't smooth, yes, lumps and bumps! I ended up making a fondant "spread" to cover the cake and it looked fine, but, YUK!

The funny thing is...when I replaced last time I used the CHEAP Great Value shortening because it's what I use and then "church ladies" replaced with Crisco! I can't win!

Learned my lesson, I'll spend $2.00 worth of gas to get the right shortening from now on!

Beth in KY

gagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagirl3 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 12

I use crisco, but if there is something better then I am up for a new challenge. icon_biggrin.gif what is the brand of high ratio shorting, and where can you get it?

Thanks a bunch, Jessica

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 12

i agree i do not like crisco . i use the grocery store brand and it makes great buttercream and it taste great and does not leave a bad taste .

bethola Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

Okay I just read how my post sounded.

My cake looked fine. The YUK was in reference to what I had to deal with BEFORE I got the idea to cover up the YUK icing! LOL

Beth

Jessica:

To be honest I use Great Value (WalMart) because it has TRANS FAT! Any shortening with trans fat with work. Now indydebi has a trick for using milk with Crisco to get what "we" want. I would think cream would do as well. It's all about replacing the trans fat in the recipe.

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 12

Ladies, I can give you a little bit of help regarding your problems with Crisco... we use it at the shop and no one can tell. The boss' recipe is as follows:

6 pounds powder sugar
One 3 lb can of crisco
1 cup water
1/3 cup flavoring (he uses butter vanilla with almond mixed in)

place the shortening in the bowl and beat until smooth. Add in the sugar, water and flavorings then mix. Scrap down all sides of the bowl and even get under the icing mixture to make sure that all is pulled up from the bottom. Then we beat the icing on high for 5-6 minutes.

This icing crusts beautifully and it can even be repaired if dinged and tastes good. Another shop in town adds 1 pound of butter to this recipe. I love my high ratio shortening, but this recipe is excellent in a pinch. You'll just have to cut it down for a reasonable size at home. Good luck.

gagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagirl3 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks Bethola! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 12

You're Welcome!

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 12

Next time you are running low on high ratio shortening - mix high ratio to half crisco and then make as normal. This makes great frosting! This way the frosting is the same taste/texture on one cake.

Did I say I LOVE it made this way!!!!!! My customers to too!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 12

I have always used Crisco.......Powdered sugar, Crisco and milk....now with the new trans fat Crisco I use the same recipe but add a little corn syrup and sometimes the flavored creamer. I beat and beat it, it comes out fluffy, smooth (smoother with the corn syrup) and everyone like it and always reliable as far as consistincy....Maybe it's the milk . like someone said above.

I have tried the cheaper brands and yukkkkkkk.
even the texture is yuk...... ..

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 12

I use the brand Sweetex high ratio shortening. I order it from Global Sugar Art.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #12 of 12

I LOVE crisco! Never have a problem-only if I don't beat it long enough!
You can see from thid video....nice and smooth thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%