I Don't Get This Popular Photos Thing

Decorating By alanahodgson Updated 19 May 2008 , 6:22pm by diane

alanahodgson Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 8

Yesterday I loaded pictures of 3 different cakes all at the same time. One has like 48 favorites and over 200 views while the other has like 7 favorites and 80 views. But the one with 7 faves keeps popping up on the popular photos added today bar. What the??? Can anyone explain how this works? Why would that one show up and not the other? It seems some very deserving cakes (other than mine I'm talking about here) get the short end of the stick in this department. And its just confusing. Anyone know?

7 replies
veejaytx Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 8

Not to hijack your thread, but I'd like to know too. It seems like the same cake photos just keep going on the rotation.

I agree, there are so many beautiful cakes in the galleries, how the same ones keep showing, I don't understand either.

Maybe someone will have an answer.

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 8

I'll never get there so I don't know LOL

ceshell Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:29am
post #4 of 8

I do think it's just a matter of timing, IMHO. It seems like 5 is (or at least it used to be) the cutoff for getting into the "popular/today" bar...but then depending on how many photos were uploaded and then fave'd that day (a day meaning: 24 hours from upload time)...well that would affect the # of chances the pic has for rotating onto the home page when the pics change every 5 minutes. I THINK which pictures rotate onto the home page is totally random. The one you said had 48 saves surely landed on the home page many times in 24 hours...but you might not have been reloading the home page at those particular times...does that make sense??

This is all guesswork on my part by the way!! But that's the trend I've noticed.

Christi you silly girl, I'm sure you've been on the home page many times! You're just too busy in the chat rooms to notice icon_lol.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

alanahodgson Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 8

ceshell, that totally makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to help us understand!

ceshell Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:40am
post #6 of 8

You're welcome, and thanks for not flaming me for having thought that whole thing out already...!! ROTFL!!!

jmt1714 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 8

I thin kit would be nice if that "popular photos" item rotated through all of the photos eventually . . . the popular ones will keepgeting views and hits and saved as favs, so the others never stand a chance.

diane Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I thin kit would be nice if that "popular photos" item rotated through all of the photos eventually . . . the popular ones will keepgeting views and hits and saved as favs, so the others never stand a chance.

yeah...i agree. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%