Transferring Template To Cake

Decorating By Tweedie Updated 18 May 2008 , 1:25am by Tweedie

Tweedie Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 8

I have a sketched template on paper of some scrollwork that I'd like to do on a buttercream cake. (My hand is not nearly steady enough for it to look fluid without some sort of template.)

So, what's the best way to transfer the template to the cake so I can trace it in icing? I don't have any kind of projector or anything like that.

Thanks for your help,

7 replies
bashini Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 8

I have got this scroll impression set. I use it to imprint the scroll works on the sugarpaste and then pipe on top of that.

Here is the link for the one I use.

stlouiscake Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 8

Here's what I do....trace your pattern with piping gel onto waxed paper. Let this dry until the gel is hard (1-2 days) Now you have the equivalent of a stamp to transfer your pattern onto your iced cake. The icing must be a crusting type.

Tweedie Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 8

Wow, OK, that's very interesting about the piping gel. I had no idea it would dry hard like that. Thank you!

I knew about the impressions but I have to do this for next weekend so I'd be afraid I wouldn't get them in time. But I will definitely look into that if I have to do this again.

Thanks to both of you for the info!

Oh, one other thing...can you pipe royal icing onto buttercream or will the fat cause the royal break down?

mommycakediva Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 8

never heard of the piping gel thing, will have to try it some time!

regymusic Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 8

Just for the record, I have ordered from Global Sugar Art several times, and have always received my order within 2 to 3 days.

That being said, I really do find the idea of using the hardened piping gel as a template intriguing. Thanks for sharing stlouiscake.

stlouiscake Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

tweedie, piping royal icing onto buttercream is no problem. We do it at work all the time!

Tweedie Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

Great, thank you stlouis! For some reason I thought I'd heard that it would break down or something and just wanted to make sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%