Painting On Buttercream?????

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 19 May 2008 , 6:22pm by TexasSugar

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, Has anyone ever painted on buttercream using piping gel and/orstraight up coloring gel?

I want to add a wood floor look to the top of a cake I have to make this afternoon (Nice notice for ya, huh?). I am just wondering if anyone has a pic of what this technique looks like so I have an idea before i start it.

It doesn't have to be wood floors, but any type of cake where you painted on buttercream. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

6 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 7

Hi
Here is a cake that I painted on buttercream. I made a frozen buttercream transfer in black and white of Pooh and Piglet. Then after my buttercream had crusted, I painted the colors on with my Wilton paste colors mixed with a little vodka. Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1203578.html

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

Thank you, Becklynn! It turned out great! I used wilton gel color and piping gel w/water to dilute it and it worked fine. ! Thanks for your response, your cakes are fantastic!!!

becklynn Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

You're welcome!
Glad your cake turned out great - I know how good that feels!
Send me a pic

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 7

I did a skate board cake last weekend (in my photos) where I used airbrush colors to paint on buttercream. I really liked them because they were already liquid and are made to dry.

I've also used color paste mixed with everclear and that has worked great as well.

Just make sure you have a soft brush and use a soft touch. icon_smile.gif

becklynn Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

So you don't add anything to the airbrush color to paint it on buttercream?
Your skateboard cake is awesome (all of your cakes are!) I especially like your mini cakes! Is it hard covering a cake so small with fondant?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 7

I used just the airbrush colors, nothing added to it, because they were already liquid.

Thank you! The skate board is now one of my favorite cakes.

The mini cakes in my photos were dummy cakes, but I do think larger cakes are much easier to cover with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%