Can Anyone Share A Drop Off Form For Wedding Cakes?

Business By Erdica Updated 18 May 2008 , 1:21pm by DianeLM

Erdica Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:56am
post #1 of 8

I know some have a form that they have someone sign when they drop off a wedding cake at the reception. Does anyone have one they are willing share? I just want to make sure I have all of the information on mine.

Thanks!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:18am
post #2 of 8

Good luck. I've never found anyone that will sign for a cake. I just take a bunch of pictures to show that "it was fine when I left it."

mellormom Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:22am
post #3 of 8

I don't have one yet but I know what should be on one. You want to make sure that it states that the cake is in good condition and acceptable upon delivery. And that you are not liable for any thing that happens to the cake after you leave. Make sure you take a picture of it in good condition as well.
I'm sure someone else will have more to say but that is what I know.
I'm supposed to get mine this week. So If you don't get any replies by next week let me know and I'll pm you with what mine says.
Jen...

costumeczar Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with leahs on this one, I don't bother with a drop-off form. When I first started I think that I had one for a couple of deliveries, and it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to sign for the cake. When I deliver there are usually no friends or family around to be the designated signer, so even if the bride had told me that someone specific would be there it's unlikely that that person would be available. Thre have been times when I've delivered a cake and not seen a single person other than a random waitstaff member or a dj setting up.

What I do is take pictures of the cake, and at least one that shows where the cake table was located in the room. That way if someone tries to move the cake after I leave I have a record of where I left it. I also have a section on the actual cake contract that says that nobody should touch or move the cake after it's set up, and that I'm not responsible for it after I leave. That way the bride has signed off on that so I have her signature on the contract showing that she's aware of that policy.

DesignerCakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #5 of 8

I have always been concerned with this matter since I have heard so many horror stories. From the very beginning I decided I would require a signature upon delivery..

I take the original contract with me when I drop off a cake and I always require a signature from either the person in charge at the venue or a coordinator.

I don't use a separate form, but I ask them to sign and print their name at the very top of the my original contract that the cake was received in satisfactory condition. I also try to always take photos at the site before I leave.

I've never had a problem with it and the people in charge are used to doing this for myself and others so they are not surprised or hesitant to sign. I wouldn't do it any other way for my own peace of mind. Having the signature on the original contract keeps my paperwork to a minimum and keeps all the info together in one place. I can easily pull that contract and provide the info I need if anything were to come up.

Erdica Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I always fear the "Well after you left...." Which I have in my contract that we are liable for what happens to the cake after we left.

jadak Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Good luck. I've never found anyone that will sign for a cake. I just take a bunch of pictures to show that "it was fine when I left it."

Wow...when I got married, the lady doing my cake gave me a 30 min. window during which she'd be delivering/setting up my cake. She said someone HAD to be there to sign for the cake or she would not leave it. I assumed this was common practice (and maybe it was 10+ years ago.) So, 4 hours before my ceremony, I had to go to the reception hall...curlers still in hair...nails still drying... icon_lol.gif and sign off on my cake! Maybe she was extreme and had a bad experience or something.

I have not done a wedding cake yet, but I thought it was still standard practice to have someone sign off. Taking pictures is a great idea. Is there a clause in you original contract that protects you once you've left the venue? Just curious...I want to make sure I do it right if I ever do book a wedding.

DianeLM Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

Fortunately, I have not had a problem getting someone to sign for a cake. However, I don't do as many deliveries as some of the others. Here's my form:

Date__________________________

I have inspected the _________________________ cake and certify that it is finished and in stable condition.

Cake Diane assumes no responsibility for damage to the cake after it is set up at the destination.

Signed______________________________________________

Printed name_________________________________________

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%