Soooooo

Business By littlecake Updated 24 May 2008 , 3:16am by shaloop

littlecake Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:48am
post #1 of 20

anypne else been putting in long days for the graduation rush?

13 hours yesterday, i'm up today, it's still dark.....

time for a venti double shot frappicino........

19 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #2 of 20

Already? College graduations? Our K-12 schools don't get out until the first week in June. I wish I were put in long hours. Lucky girl. It will pay off in the end. icon_smile.gif

pjmw Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #3 of 20

Graduation was last night where I teach. However, most of the parties are over Memorial Day weekend. I'll be spending my holiday in the kitchen!

susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #4 of 20

Yep - me too. Seems a lot of people wait until the last minute to plan for the graduations though. I can only take a couple cakes a week at the most since I work full-time so I've had to turn down quite a few people. I hate turning anyone down. I'm off for a graduation delivery in a few minutes after my stop at Starbucks. It's been a long tiring week. Do you have anyone to back up you when you get sick? I was sick a couple of days last week and required help from my mother but she's not a decorator (she is my baker though!) It was very good that I had made a lot of the details last weekend! thumbs_up.gif

DoniB Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 20

not really graduation, but a lot of friends and family want 'hey, you made it through one more year of college!' or 'welcome home for the summer' type cakes. icon_razz.gif Tomorrow is a book cake (hopefully!) for two of my brothers and my husband, who all were in college this past year.

imakecakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 20

Lots of birthdays, lately. I did have one college grad cake this week tho'. Most of my grad cakes are all for June. (They're HS grads)

indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 20

My marathon was last week ... 11 straight days of orders (it included a 5-day catering for a fraternity, 3 weddings and 3 misc orders, plus the daily 300 cookies per day order). My alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. and I didnt' get home until 9:30 or 10:00 p.m.

It was over $10,000 of biz during those 11 days, but may I never have a schedule like that again! icon_eek.gif

susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 20

Holy Moly Indydebi! Great business!!! Bet you're exhausted.

I hope you get a little time to recover from the last 11 days! That would have done me in! Two cakes in a week (while working my full-time job) is all I can take - I'm normally up until all hours of the morning just having two orders a week. Sounds like I must just be a light-weight! Wish so much that I could do this full-time. Everyone at my office looks at my cakes and says "why in the world are you working here if you can do that?" I want to say "because people like you won't pay me enough to make a living at it!"

Get some rest!

indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 20

The worst part is loading and unloading the van ..... 2 full van loads of food from GFS ..... 1 full van load of food from Sam's ..... 1 full van load of my equipment to set up at the facility. Plus all the little trips I had to make during the week. Plus loading up EVERYTHING on the last day and hauling it back to the shop, unloading it, cleaning it all and putting it away!

THAT is the worst part! And my 15 year old wonders why I tell her I have no need to join a gym ... not when I've got a 50-lb bag of sugar on my shoulder and a case of green beans under my arm! icon_lol.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 20

In the same boat, our University graduated last night and today and I've been up here until at least midnight every day this week. Almost done today, though just have to set up one more wedding cake and I can go home and take a nap!!!

kneadacookie Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 20

i seem to be so slammed with wedding showers. i look forward to getting a good graduation!!

cakesondemand Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:04am
post #12 of 20

Well just got an order for a University Graduation 2000 cupcakes first week of June.

pjmw Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:09am
post #13 of 20

Almost one week later and it's time to start the graduation rush. The first cake went in at 4:30 AM so I can get two cakes done before I have to go to work...at some point today I'll have to get a nap!

yummymummy Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:33am
post #14 of 20

I've been as slammed as I can allow! I can only do 1 cake a week and it seems like everyone has birhtdays, weddings, and bridal showers lately!

mom42ws Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:24am
post #15 of 20

my schedule has been completely all over the place; 5 orders one week, 2 the next. this pattern has been happening for the last 6 weeks. it's kinda nice to have a slow week after a really tough one.

ashley

littlecake Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #16 of 20

the saga continues...
tomorrow is friday...19 orders for friday....and about that many for saturday...(and greedy me will still take more orders)....good thing is they are all pretty simple, i'm gonna have to bake again tomorrow night, i ran out of cake today, which was pretty busy too for thursday...the great thing is...i'm gonna get to put more into my roof fund for the place i'm fixing up to move my shop to.

NO RENT IS GONNA BE SWEEEEET!

i'm thinking this year after the 4th of july when the slump comes...i might take a week off....of course to work on my building.

pjmw Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #17 of 20

It's now almost midnight and my cakes are finally done. Of course I can't start icing until after work, a dance recital rehearsal, and choir practice. Thank goodness the baseball game was rained out! Also thank goodness for chinese take-out...and that my family LOVES chinese take-out! I ache all over and didn't get the nap I promised myself...kinda difficult to nap and teach at the same time! Good night CCer's I'm going to bed before I realize how many more orders I have on my cake board!

Paula

shaloop Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #18 of 20

Not graduation orders, but still my busiest week yet. I still have 2 carrot cakes and 1 Italian cream cake and 12 dozen cookies to go. So far I've done 22 (different flavors) cheesecakes, 6 triple chocolate cakes, 2 red velvet cakes, 1 hummingbird and 1 Italian cream cake, and 6 pound cakes (also different flavors). I'm so glad I raised my prices two weeks ago, right before this busy week!

littlecake Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 20

I'm wore out...i know i sais I wasn't going to...but I finally HAD to start turning them away....sometimes it's just not worth it.

22 different flavors of cheesecakes??? WHOOO HOOO...yummmy...you rock!

i was gonna start offering chessecakes a couple years ago...man they cost a small fortune to make...plus i decided i better not...i didn't wanna end up weighing 2 thousand pounds!

shaloop Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #20 of 20

[quote="littlecake"]22 different flavors of cheesecakes??? WHOOO HOOO...yummmy...you rock!
/quote]
I don't think I worded that correctly. I had 22 cheesecakes in all. 10 were vanilla. The others were 7 various flavors. I actually offer 15 different cheesecake flavors. I consider cheesecakes my specialty and they make up about 1/2 of my business. (Mostly wholesale).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%