First Birthday Cake - Really Stuck On This Theme

Decorating By mckaren Updated 20 May 2008 , 1:48am by 7yyrt

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:41am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I've been asked to design a cake for a friend's grandaughter's 1st birthday.

It's to be covered in pale pink buttercream as the mum doesn't like fondant.

She likes the idea of a lily and a rose somewhere (the baby's name) but she really wants something more child-like.

I was thinking about doing the usual teddy bear, maybe some little blossoms and building bricks but I have no idea how I can incorporate a lily and a rose.

I'm only charging for ingredients and materials because it's not a proper business and I don't feel that I'm good enough to charge yet so I don't want anything too complicated.

Any ideas?

Karen x

10 replies
Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:51am
post #2 of 11

What about making one of those babys in a flower and use the lily or rose as that flower... or surround the baby with them minature lillies and roses... or use them to decorate the sides of the cake ie painted on or made to go on the board surrounding the cake.. hmmm

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:53am
post #3 of 11

ohh one other thing i did a christening cake for my niece who name is Jasmine and she is half tongan so my sis in law requested a hibiscus... so we made the hibiscus regular size with jasmin flower coming from the sides (so was a spray with the hibiscus and jasmine and a couple of leaves) then we sat a brown baby dressed in christening gown in front of these on top of cake all were delighted..

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 11

Why don't you have the little teddy bears sleeping in a blossoming rose? Or you could have the little teddies holding roses.....

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 11

I like the teddys sleeping in the flower garden idea. You could even dress the teddys up as flowers (think anne geddes)

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

I love the Ann Geddes ideas! That could be so cute!

Brenda

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 11

Ann Geddes is a great thought, but could get pretty complicated to do. If you want to keep it simpler, what about making cartoon-style rose and lily designs on some of the building blocks, or as flat designs around the side of the cake?

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 11

my daughters name is also Lily.
How about a little pond made of blue gel, and a lily pad on it with a tiny lily, maybe a frog, the frog could be holding a rose, or you could make a small rose bush next the the water...just an idea...my daughter was a Lily Pad for her first halloween!!Complete with a green hat with a frog on it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11

A lily opening up with a little bear or baby in it would be really cute.. she could have a tiny rose in her hair. A white lily with some pink shading with a baby bear with a little diaper and a rose in her hair is what I am picturing. A tiered cake would be cute with the flower/bear on the top and have little roses around the top of the bottom tier.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 11

I don't have the pics yet, but I just finished a cake for a little girl who I had a little frog prince made of 50/50, sitting on a lilly pad with a flower, holding the other flowers to give to his little duck friend. They wanted to incorporate a duck and frog and yet make it for a child and slightly feminine. It actually turned out pretty good for a girl's first birthday.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #11 of 11

Tuck the flowers behind an ear (of the teddy bear) like they do in Hawaii ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%