Help! Very Frustrated!!!

Decorating By mel34 Updated 17 May 2008 , 6:44pm by mel34

mel34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mel34 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 4

Can anyone please tell me a really good cake recipe for just a white cake? I've tried a couple different ones that I found on CC. They say they will make a 9x13 cake but then won't even rise to the top of the pan. Or they completely fall apart when I take them out of the pan. I just want to find a recipe that tastes good, holds up well and that I can also use to carve cakes from. Am I asking too much? Any advise would be so appreciated.

3 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 4

Have you tried the White Almond Sour Cream cake? It starts with a mix and then you add ingredients. You can alter the flavorings (just double up on vanilla if you don't like almond) and the base cake mix to get a variety of delicious cakes. It has a dense-ish texture that is pretty good for carving and it tastes terrific-very moist. I like to sub the almond in my white cake for creme bouquet, which is a slightly citrus flavoring. Yum!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 4

I definately suggest my *original* WASC cake recipe. It is the perfect amount for that size pan.
Getting batter to rise to the top of the pan means starting w/enough batter in the 1st place.

Are you sure your oven is working properly? If your cakes are not rising it could be you need a new electric element or to have the gas co or a good repairman calabrate your oven.

Lastly, about the cake breaking apart - do you allow the cake to cool at least 10 minutes after removeing it from the oven? Have you greased your pan properly so it will fall out of the pan after cooling some?
If your cake bakes up w/a hump it could be causing it to crack apart when you turn it out of the pan. Several thing to eleminate that: bake at 325 for a couple of minutes longer &/or when you take the cake out of the oven cover it w/a clean towel and put your board on top; press down so it compresses the humpicon_smile.gif Now you can turn it out and it won't crack apart.

mel34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mel34 Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to both of you. I will probably at some point try both cakes. I don't really think it's my oven but I guess it could be but white cakes are the ones I seem to have to most trouble with. I don't know what my problem is. It may be nothing more than operator error on my part! icon_redface.gif I don't know which one, but I will be trying one today. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%