Well.....i Charged $175 For My Cake......

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 17 May 2008 , 4:00pm by suzted7

suzted7 Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 18

and he decided to give me $200 and saying that he knew even that wasn't enough for the amount of work I put into it! He even offered to do a website for me should I ever decide to do that! His wife LOVED the cake and said they will definitely call me for their next cake. I was satisfied with the $200. In my area (small town) charging $400 like some have suggested is just too much! Thanks everyone!

17 replies
artlover Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #2 of 18

that is sooo cool. how did you make that

sweetcravings Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 18

Way to go!!!! IT's worth every penny. Bravo for you, getting paid what you rightly deserve. The cake is wonderful. I'm glad some decorators are getting paid well. Long story..bad day..charged too little, last minute order, no tip, barely a smile. I'm happy for you. Great looking cake.

Melvira Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 18

Great work! And hold on to that customer! One who recognizes your work and the intrinsic value is worth his/her weight in gold!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

mommycakediva Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 18

This is a great cake and obviously they thought so to! Good job!!

ladyteej Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 18

This is an awesome cake. Love the lights. Very creative. What a tip!

twooten173 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 18

sweetcravings, big hug to you! You're a cc'er so I know you did a great job.

suzted7. It's nice that he acknowledged the excellent work you did. I'm glad for you. Now I, like artlover, want to know how you did it. icon_smile.gif

psanders76 Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:33am
post #8 of 18

I love the cake!!!

LadyMike Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:18am
post #9 of 18

Maybe a tutorial in the making???? icon_wink.gif I love the lights too. Great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I really would like to know the basics of how you did this cake. You did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Omicake Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:29am
post #10 of 18

Congrats on your well deserved tip! Love all airplane cakes!
What was its size?

suzted7 Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 18

Omicake.....it ended up being 2 ft 9 inches from wingtip to wingtip and and around the same from front to back. I forgot to get an accurate measurement. As far as a tutorial......I WOULD of had step by step pictures but my husband had to take the camera to Germany with him and I didn't ask the neighbor for his until the day I delivered the cake.

I can tell you to invest in a hacksaw blade by itself.....I had shavings of styrofoam all over the place! Lots of rounded areas of course! LOL! I went to the fake flower section in Michaels and grabbed a styrofoam cone shape for the front of the plane. The "fat" end of that was up against another rounded styrofoam shape...I can't quite tell you the name of that shape as I have NO clue! But when you put the larger of the 2 ends up against the "fat" cone side...it fits perfectly together!

I don't know how else to describe that! Anyway, then, I grabbed 2 LARGE cans of Baked Beans....doesn't matter the flavor (ha ha, just had to throw that in there) emptied them, cleaned then really really good, tore off the labels, sprayed generously with Baker's spray, filled half-way with batter and voila, round tubular cakes! I ended up using 4.

As for getting it off the board.....I bought the rectangular shaped styrofoams and just "shaved" out a rounded "cake rest" in them. This part is hit or miss...it took a long time to get them all the same size to fit the cakes. I didn't want the outer edges to stick out too much or it wouldn't look rounded when I put the fondant over them.

Then, I just used about 5 small pieces of square styrofoam and hot-glued them to the board. I spaced them out so they would be at the "weaker" parts of the rounded-out rectangles so they would hold up the cake! After that, it got alittle easier. I just rolled out the fondant, draped it over all of it, used BC as glue. As for the wings, I bought a thin sheet of styrofoam and cut it to shape..... I used dowels to attach to the body of the plane. Painted with luster dust and gel colors and the pens. Cut out the windows and made wheels.

The engines were egg-shaped styrofoam. Just covered in fondant and lustered dusted it with silver and blue. The lights were easy too. Just spaced them out accordingly and punched holes in the board and taped them in place. Taped the battery boxes on either side underneath and then hot-glued 2 small pieces of styrofoam on the other end of the board so it sits even on the table. Little cake was just because I thought she would appreciate a "girly" cake too! LOL

I hope I explained it well! If anyone has questions...pm me and I'll help you out! Thanks so much for the interest in my cake...never thought THAT would happen!

lovetofrost Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 18

i think you did a great job. the price is a little low sounding, but i'm sure it will be worth it to have a repeat customer and referrals from them. and that is great you got offered a website.

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 18

Is this the cake for SIL that you didn't want to do because it was not 'femine' enough?
You did a fantastic jobicon_smile.gif And see how it was rewarded! Sooooooo glad you did it.

pastryjen Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 18

Fantastic cake...

That was very nice of him to give you a tip, not that you didn't deserve it.

Omicake Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you for all the trouble. Your instructions are very clear to me and it was a large plane.I'd be afraid to deliver such a constructed plane in one piece; but you certainly made it sturdy enough.

VannaD Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:18pm
post #16 of 18

wow, great cake! thanks for the directions, well explaind but my brain is on overload now! thumbs_up.gif Ive never heard of baking in cans, im still kind of new though, so kudos to you if you thought that up! Congrats on the tip, ill bet if you let him read the directioms he wouldve paid even more!

susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 18

Wonderful job! Yep this customer knows what a gem you are. Don't you just love it when they think you should charge even more?! There aren't many customer like this out there!

Great job on this! I can imagine trying to do this one!

suzted7 Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 18

Vanna.... actually got the idea about the soup cans here on CC. I wish I could remember who, but unfortunately I can't! Thanks again everyone for the compliments! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%