I Feel Ripped Off..and It's My Own Fault..

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 20 May 2008 , 10:31pm by sweetcravings

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:20pm
post #31 of 38

your cake looks great! i too use that glaze recipe....... i make a stencil using the hot pen and mylar.... then airbrush it on the cake ... go from there with the outlining and letting that set it..... then go on to filling in with the glaze..... i do love using that method..... i did a unc logo on a cake this week end with that method...... i don,t have pictures to show.... my friend is going to come over soon and teach me how to do this .... we all usually know after the fact.... that we didn,t charge enough... i am bad for that too...or maybe think that they would like it so much, that they would tip us at times.....

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #32 of 38

Great job on your cake!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #33 of 38

[quote="veejaytx"]Looks like a million bucks to me!

Really, I would think $200+ easily. Beautiful cake and great work![/quote

Really icon_surprised.gif you think i should have charged 200.00! Your just pulling my leg right? If that's what i should have charged, i lost out bigggg time.
I went to the grocery store today, and a man was holding a grocery cake, it looked to be around a third of the size of my cake. I asked him how much it was he said 32.00. I felt sick to my stomach. That man got my cake for a steal. If thats what they charge for that sort of cake, mine should be worth alot more. ]

sweetcravings Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Sounds like it is time for you to sit down and make out a basic price list. Atleast find out how much you are spending on your cakes so you have an idea of what you need to chrage to get that back and then some.

Since you are offering a nut free cake you could actually add in a little more because that is something they can't get everywhere they go. And of course for the last minute order...

To me it is always best to discuss price upfront. Because when it comes to pick up and you just have to throw out a number you almost always cheat yourself because at that point you have a cake you want to get out of the house, but you are scared to offend them with the price as well.

You are sooo right. My DH and i were just talking about that this morning. When i finished the cake i was so tired, like you said i just wanted it out of the house. When he showed up, i kinda buckled and felt insecure. i didn't want him to gasp at the price of it so i gave him a ridiculously low figure. We are going to have to go to work and figure out the money part of my cakes really soon. I just wish there was a list somewhere with costs already done up for me to go by.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Sounds like it is time for you to sit down and make out a basic price list. Atleast find out how much you are spending on your cakes so you have an idea of what you need to chrage to get that back and then some.

Since you are offering a nut free cake you could actually add in a little more because that is something they can't get everywhere they go. And of course for the last minute order...

To me it is always best to discuss price upfront. Because when it comes to pick up and you just have to throw out a number you almost always cheat yourself because at that point you have a cake you want to get out of the house, but you are scared to offend them with the price as well.

You are sooo right. My DH and i were just talking about that this morning. When i finished the cake i was so tired, like you said i just wanted it out of the house. When he showed up, i kinda buckled and felt insecure. i didn't want him to gasp at the price of it so i gave him a ridiculously low figure. We are going to have to go to work and figure out the money part of my cakes really soon. I just wish there was a list somewhere with costs already done up for me to go by.

Alice's pricing matrix is a sticky at the top of the business forum. Haven't used it myself but I know a lot of CC'ers do use it. HTH

icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

We are going to have to go to work and figure out the money part of my cakes really soon. I just wish there was a list somewhere with costs already done up for me to go by.

There is the matrix, but I'm not sure it works for all cakes. If you bake from scratch or use special nut free items you will need to factor those in your costs. Plus it also depends on your location, prices of eggs are not equal across the US are they?

Best thing to do is make a list of everything you use for your cakes and price those items out. Take that list with you to the grocery store and write down information.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #37 of 38

You way under charged him...and the other cake for $50? Girl...I would have charged way more than that.

It is not just the ingredients - it is your time and talent. I have a minimum order of $80 and actually I haven't made a cake for under $100 in a long time unless it was for my best friend!

Most people are more than glad to get something for nothing! They don't make cakes and are CLUELESS about what it takes. It is

1. inital contact with customer (takes time to discuss/plan etc.)

2. shop for ingredients/supplies (this includes the super expensive gasoline!)

3. Possibly make elements ahead of time to dry, set up. Cut out boards and cover

4. Make the cakes/clean up baking mess and make the icings, fillings.

5. Decorate the cakes

6. Clean up the MESS.

7. Deliver the cake or be there so they can pick them up.

It is alot of time involved. Time is money. Pay yourself a decent wage. I made a 12" cake yesterday for a shower of a former bride. It was 56 Wilton servings and I only charged her $2 a serving as the girl ordering it/paying for it is a good friend.

The cake took about 4 hours total with baking/making icing/airbrushing/clean up. I charged her $112 so that is $28 a hour. I can live with that. She loved the cake too!

sweetcravings Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #38 of 38

UPDATE......

Well, i sent my son to school with the change for the cake. It was sooo hard putting money in that envelope this morning, especially since i knew it should've cost more than what i told him. I just wrote on the envelope "here is the change for the cake. I hope it was enjoyed by all.". Well DS returns home with the envelope I gave him and a note on it. It read, "that cake was wonderful. Please keep the money as a tip." I was sooo surprized and pleased. ;0) So in total he ended up giving me the full 60.00dollars instead of the smaller amount i told him. So at least it covered my costs..whew, now i feel a bit better about it. He must've liked it to leave a tip, right?
I'd better get moving on making my cost lists, just in case he calls me again in the future.
Thank you everyone for all your support.
suzanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%