Does Anyone Have A Template For The Bill On A Baseball Cap?

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 19 May 2008 , 10:27pm by CelebrationCakery

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a baseball cap cake next weekend and was wondering if anyone has a template for the bill (thats what it's called right?).
I know how I am going to do the cake part (the part that would sit on your head) I am going to do a 6 in round and half of the Wilton ball pan stacked and the carved a bit. But I have no idea how to do the bill.
How do you cut it so that it fits snugly with the cake?
How do you attach it to the cake?
And what would you use to put underneath it while it drys so that it doesn't just sit flat on the cake board, but actually looks like a real baseball cap would?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:00am
post #2 of 8

icon_lol.gif
LL

amytracy1981 Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 8

Thanks!
How would you go about assembling that? Do you make the bill and let it dry and then shove it into the cake? Or just have it touching the cake?

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 8

I was also hoping for some instruction on a baseball cap bill. Do you make it out of fondant or gumpaste? I would like to use MMF so that it matches the hat part exactly but does MMF dry hard enough for that? I am very new to this. Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 8

I tried one last week and used MMF mixed with a little gumpaste. I took my son's baseball hat and pressed the bill flat, then traced around it on a piece of paper. After I cut that out, I laid it on top of the bill and marked the paper where the seam was on the cap, then trimmed it so the pattern would "fit" the actual bill of the cap. Then I traced it on parchment, used that to cut out my MMF and then laid the parchment on the actual hat with the MMF on top to dry. HTH

amytracy1981 Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

allee,
Thanks so much! This really helps! I had no idea how to do the bill and now I think I will actually be able to do it!
Thanks again!

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

No problem. I think if I can do it, anyone can do it!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

Go ahead and use an actual hat to use as a template, I personally used the actualy hat as well with Glad Press and seal on it and let it dry for a few days right on there...I would do it at least 4 days before, if it drys long enough you will need nothing under it to support it. I ended up having to color some buttercream and putting it under the bills to hold them up nice and firm against the cake. And then the part that was against the cake was not perfect, so I just used the buttercream that matched the hat color to fill in and then used my small tapered spatula to take off any acess, kindof like grouting....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%