Help! I'm New At Cake Decorating & Need Some Encouragem

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 17 May 2008 , 3:26am by mommyle

Traci9130 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi...Just as a little background, I just started cake decorating back in October of this year, when I started to take some classes....Although the cakes that I have done have been pretty and family and friends were impressed by them, to be honest, browsing this site, I am totally overwhelmed...Will I ever be able to make cakes as beautiful as these????

Last week I tried to make a cake in the shape of a pocketbook...Easy, right? I figured, how hard could it be? I had the pictures and instructions right in front of me...Well, as I was carving and carving, the pocketbook ended up taking more of the shape of a bowling bag than a trendy pocket book...I was very disappointed in myself, thinking that if I can't do something like that, how am I every going to learn to make all those beautiful flowers and techniques that I am so eagar to learn.

Please, if there is anyone out there who had had similar problems when they first started, let me know...I would LOVE to hear about them...It will bring me encourgment to know that I am not alone and wasting my time...All the cakes on this website are so beautiful and are an inspiration to me...Hopefully, I can strive, one day, to be confident in my ability and make cakes as wonderful as the ones here...My heart is willing...

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

5 replies
LeanneW Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 6

Hang in there Traci,

When I first started I considered a leveled cake a success. It took me forever to get a flat cake but I have learned a lot through mistakes and this forum.

You are very brave to take on a sculpted cake. As long as you are having fun then stick with it. Every single cake I make is better than the last and I love to try new things.

I taught a room mate to bake in college and she said she always remembers me saying to her "even if it's ugly it will still taste good"

Not to say your cakes are ugly, I'm sure they are lovely.

mgdsue02 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 6

Take your time, keep practicing, don't be too hard on yourself and you will get better. When I first started I could hardly get my buttercream icing smooth. Now, a couple of years later I am making cakes that look like books, flip flops, hotdogs...cakes I never would have believed I could do. If you stay with it, you will get better. [/quote]

tracycakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 6

You will always be learning so don't get discouraged. I've been decorating a long time but I've never made anything as beautiful and most of the cakes on this site. Just keep practicing, it will be better and better!

mommyle Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 6

practice, practice, practice. buy yourself some dummies and practice different techniques. The best part is that you can take your time and keep trying until you get it "right".
I only started this fall, and I notice that I get better with each learning experience. You will too. Keep your spirits up! You are doing great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%