First Time Using Fondant

Decorating By brandy123 Updated 17 May 2008 , 12:40am by cwcopeland

brandy123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy123 Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm pretty new at decorating cakes and I'm going to be using fondant for the first time. I'm wondering if there is a better fondant brand to use? Wilton's is the easiest to get (Michaels) but when I was testing a small amount I wondered if there was a better brand. Any one have any suggestions? One last thing what is the difference between gumpaste and fondant? Tahnks for looking.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #2 of 4

gumpaste dries hard and is usually not meant to be eaten. It is used for flowers and decorations.

Wilton is easy to use, but doesn'nt taste very good. You can make your own, there are many recipes in the recipe section.

Otherwise, there is Satin Ice, Chocopan, and several other ready to use brands that are all good.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 4

marshmallow fondant taste great and is easy to make and work with. toba garrett's fondant also taste great, as well as michelle foster's. icon_biggrin.gif i love ém all, but i would go with marshmallow fondant because it's easier to make with few ingredients. icon_lol.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:40am
post #4 of 4

I only use Wilton when I'm making characters AND if it's on sale. I use Satin Ice otherwise. It's easy to work with and tastes pretty good.

In my opinion, Satin Ice is easier to work with than MMF but doesn't taste as good. I've also made Michelle Foster's Fondant and it's good too. I quit making my own fondant because it was too hard on my KA (artesian). I was afraid I'd burn it up.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%