Marking A Sheet Cake For Equal Pieces

Decorating By MosMom Updated 17 May 2008 , 1:44am by MosMom

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 4

I've never made a full sheet cake before and I would like to indent the icing to make equal sizes and then decorate each slice. I've never done this and tried measuring out the pieces but it isn't really working.

I'd like some tips...please. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 4

I just take a ruler and measure each side of the cake. Then I divide it by how many pieces I want on that side.

Example:
12x18 cake
I want 54 servings so 6 pieces off of the 12" side and 9 pieces off of the 18" side. This means each piece is 2"x2"

Find the middle and make a small mark on the top edge of the cake, start measuring out 2" from the middle of the cake in each direction. This will give you the opportunity to have true 2" pieces of cake b/c the outside pieces will have extra icing on the side that should not be figured into the size of the piece.

Once my edges are all marked I just use a long ruler and lay it lightly on top of the cake to get a line.
Other items you can use to mark the cake are.... Floss, back of knife, edge of cookie sheet... really anything that is long enough to go across your cake in one shot.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:28am
post #3 of 4

i bought this plastic "thingy" that you lay over and press into the cake and it makes indentations, but i can't remember where i bought it. icon_confused.gif

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

Yeah, I need one of those plastic thingies. I'm going to give Leily's suggestion a try for now. Thanks for the help!

We have a rescued golden too. icon_wink.gif She is sweetheart but dumb as a brick. :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%