I Need An Idea For A Coconut Cake Filling

Decorating By Nitza Updated 17 May 2008 , 12:16am by jessfmaldonado

Nitza Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 12

what flavor of filling can I use for a coconut cake, that can be out of the fridge for a few hours without problem?

11 replies
KKC Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 12

How about a coconut-pecan filling sorta like whats on a german chocolate cake:

Coconut Pecan Filling

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup sugar

3 beaten egg yolks

1/2 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/3 cup Baker's Angel Flake Coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

Lalana Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 12

I LOVE nutella!! It goes so great with coconut. I have used it straight or mixed into buttercream and got great reviews on both.

judylynnturner Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 12

I love lemon filling in mine...if I am in a hurry and want a cake for the family or I don't feel like making a lemon filling, I buy Libby's Lemon Meringue Pie Filling...

Since we have had HEB Plus open, they have a great jarred lemon custard that I have used from time to time as well...

jessfmaldonado Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 12

This is my recipe,

1-2 cups (depends on how much filling you need) Raw Chip Coconut: put into a food processor and processed until small.
Soak it in a can of Coconut milk. Over night. When ready to use squeeze out the excess Coconut milk.

Mix in SMBC until blended.

There you have a really Coconutty filling!!!

apclassicwed Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 12

I have a friend that always asks me for a pineapple filling with her coconut cake!
I take crushed pineapple (small can), drained
corn starch a heaping tablespoon
sugar to taste

Put fruit & sugar in saucepan heat til gently boiling. Take the corn starch and mix with water then drizzle into pineapple while boiling (like you would do to make a gravy) Stir until thickened. Remove from heat, let cool and use on cake. I use this same method for any fruit filling--great for those fruit that you cant find a premade filling or jam for!!

marthajo1 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 12

where do you get raw chip coconut?

majormichel Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 12

What about lemon filing/custard?

FromScratch Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 12

A pineapple filling will be more than fine out of the fridge for a few hours.

I make this one all the time and it is really good. Even better if you make a coconut pastry cream and have a layer of that in there too and top it with coconut SMBC.. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM like eating a pina colada (especially if you put a rum laced simple syrup on your cake) icon_wink.gif

1 large can crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 or 4 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in the drained juice)
1 beaten egg yolk
1 tablespoon butter

Drain pineapple in fine sieve. Using back of spoon press as much juice through as possible. Set strained pineapple aside. Combine sugar, salt, pineapple juice, dissolved cornstarch, beaten egg yolk and stir well. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter. When completely cool, add pineapple and stir well and chill for an hour.

Nitza Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 12

there all greats filling.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #11 of 12

I'm a pineapple filling girl & I've used the recipe jkalman listed. Ohh, it's sooo yummy!

jessfmaldonado Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:16am
post #12 of 12

I get my Raw Chip Coconut from CK Products, here is the link

Quote by @%username% on %date%