Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 17 May 2008 , 11:00pm by JanH

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 13

Is the cost diff between Alpine and Sweetex worth it? Is there another brand you have tried and do or do not recommend??

12 replies
natalka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natalka Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 13

I was wondering about this too. I would love to know the difference my self. Great question. thumbs_up.gif

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 13

I just bought this yesterday.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619029

It is much cheaper and the shipping cost is very reasonable. The manufacturer is CK Products, and everything that I have ever bought from CK has been great so far. I did a forum search on it before I bought it and found a few people had used sweetex and switched to the ck based on price; and that they didn't see any difference in quality. I did not read one single bad thing about it. Since I haven't received it yet I can't personally comment.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 13

I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two.

I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste better, work easier and definitely holds up in warmer/humid climate like mine. I've not tried other brands though other than Alpine. Very interesting topic!

Good luck!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 13

I use a brand called wesson, it doesn't say hi ration but it when I posted a thread on here, I got responses that it was HR because of the emulsifiers. I paid $43.69 for a 50lb block, no shipping because a lady who owns the local coffee store here ordered it for me on her ticket through US Food Service. Here is thread I am referring to, it will give you the information on the brand I now use, and it is awesome IMO... better than the new crisco for sure.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5911253-.html#5911253

oh it will take you to my thread and then there is a link from JANH in it to another thread. HTH

mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 13

I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two.

I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste better, work easier and definitely holds up in a warmer/humid climate like mine. I've not tried other brands though other than Alpine. Very interesting topic!

Good luck!

mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 13

I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two. I've read on another thread on this topic that people use the Alpine in winter months and Sweetex when it's warmer. It's never really "winter" here so I guess that's why I only use the Sweetex.

I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste better, work easier and definitely holds up in a warmer/humid climate like mine. I've not tried other brands though other than Alpine. Very interesting topic!

Good luck!

mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 13

??? not sure what's happening with my posting today ??? sorry!! icon_redface.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 13

I just recently tried the CK brand and had wonderful results with it. I ordered the 3 lb. just to try but I will be ordering the 50 lb. today. I have not tried Sweetex or Alpine so I can't give you an opinion on them. I do know that I am definitely done with Crisco.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #10 of 13

I guess I've been under a rock - what is high ratio and how is it different/better than Crisco?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 13

I posted a question earlier .. why is Sweetex so much more expensive than Alpine? Anyone have any thoughts?

natalka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natalka Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 13

I can't answer to that question , why is Sweetex more expensive then Alpine but I do know this, I bought the Sweetex to try it. And last night I iced 3 tier cake and OMG it was so smooth and easy to work with and best part it taste so great in your mouth. I used VIVA towels to smooth the cake and it turned out so great. I love the taste in my mouth after eating this icing. It's 100 times better taste then Crisco . Crisco will make your mouth feel greesy and starchy but this one is so soft and easy to swallow. I'm happy for the results. No more Crisco for me!!! I really want to try to get Alpine brand and see if it has any difference then Sweetex. I guess that's the only way I can discover the difference between two.
Good luck to rest of you ladies out there!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 13

Everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:
(Includes recipes, opinions, where to buy and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

I prefer hi-ratio shortening (need less & has more emulsifiers, etc.), but Crisco can be made more appetizing using a recipe that has "extras" to improve the mouth-feel.

Indydebi's new Crisco b/c recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

High humidity b/c recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

Sweetex is manufactured by ACH, couldn't find who makes Alpine. So that alone would account for some price difference.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%