Very Warm Day Travel Advice...

Decorating By RoseCitySugarcraft Updated 17 May 2008 , 2:01am by RoseCitySugarcraft

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

It's supposed to be 96° by the time my client picks up her cake.
Her car is NOT A/C...and they're travelling an hour to the coast!!!

The decor is very simple. Ornamental cherry tree branches and blossoms(branches are choc. fondant, blossoms are fondant w/ CMC pwd added and dried) all around the cake (fondant covered/white cake/fresh blueberry filling). Sugarpaste geisha for a topper.

Here's my question, if I refrigerate the cake, without the blossoms, and wrap the topper separately, will it be ok when they get there? I planned on including a little tube of icing for them to dot onto the branches where they want, when they get to their destination. And just place the figure on top.

Is that feasible? they didn't tell me ANYthing about transportation issues when I talked with them about the order before. And this is record May heat! ACK!

I'm so afraid of coming off a bit unprofessional for having them finish the cake. By the same token, I think I've done all I can under the circumstances to provide them with the freshest possible cake.

All opinions greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
~ Scott

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 5

You can box the very cold cake and ask them to protect it from the sun. even re-box the cake for additional insulation.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5

I think your plan will work just fine.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 5

You can even pack ice bags around the box. Just put some in ziploc baggies and put them around the cake to keep it fresher.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone!

Well, they just picked up the cake, and had a styro cooler with ice in the bottom, and a small board to set the box on to keep it dry.

I feel good about it, and won't worry. NOW I have to wait until Sunday when they get back to hear how the birthday mom liked it! (And to see pics of the finished cake, since they flowers won't go on it until tomorrow!)
Will post what pics I can when I get them.

I HATE waiting! AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH! icon_rolleyes.gif

~ Scott

PS, I'm going to post one pic of the geisha figure now to show that first.
TFL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%