Question On 3D Cakes

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 16 May 2008 , 8:26pm by kristykgs

kristykgs Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

Although I have been a member and lurking for a couple of months (LOVE the site), I am new at alot of things. I have a request for my 1st 3D cake. Unbelievably, I'm not really nervous about it, but did have a question.

I know sometimes it may take a couple of days to put it together, so how do you keep the cake fresh during those days? I know to put it in the freezer before carving, but I'm talking about once the cake is carved and you have the butter cream icing on and now you are just working on all the details. I know if I use a fondant it will be fine, but they don't want fondant covering the cake, so it will just be a smooth buttercream. If I put plastic wrap over the butter creamed cake, will it pull the frosting off the next day when I take it off to finish detail?

I have a hard time writing questions sometimes...get a little to detailed and can confuse people, so I hope I explained myself right.

thanks for all the help.

keep up the good work

Kristy

4 replies
leily Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 5

Once your cake is covered with buttercream you cake is going to keep just fine. Buttercream works just like fondant in that it holds in the moisture and keeps the cake from getting dry.

I would just let it sit on your counter (away from anything that might land it it though) until you are ready to finish it.

stacylambert Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 5

From my understanding the buttercream, as long as it's covering the whole cake, keeps in the moisture. Also, if you are using a crusting buttercream you should be able to use plastic wrap if you felt it necessary.

I also read something about the three day rule, where cakes taste the best on the third day? icon_confused.gif

Anyway, my knowledge is fairly limited, someone else may be able to offer a better answer.

Good luck!

SugarMama602 Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 5

Those EXACT same thoughts have been going through my head since yesterday, kristykgs.

I'm doing my first shaped cake and I don't want my little niece and her friends to eat gross cake!

I've just got my BC cake covered by a huge tupperware tub on the counter. icon_smile.gif

kristykgs Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your reply's. The cake is due on Tuesday and now I won't worry about making it on Saturday to begin.

And Sugarmama, since this will be both our "1st's" we'll have to let each other know how it turns out.

Actually my 1st was supposed to be for the 23rd, but when I announced at my marketing group last week that I was working on this, another request came in and that one is due before my acutal 1st is due. So as soon as this one is done, I will have to begin on the 2nd.

Sugarmama, what is your cake gonna be? The one on Tuesday for me is pretty simple, it is just a house cake for a mortgage broker and the one next weekend is a little more complicated it is a '62 Ford Galaxy. Will be intresting.
Can't wait to post pictures

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%