Having A Really Bad Week...(Long Vent!)

Baking By yankeegal Updated 17 May 2008 , 10:08pm by McMama

yankeegal Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 13

As I posted last weekend, I finished a huge order for 2200 cookies. It was for a fundraiser for someone who was killed on 9/11-a scholarship fund. I took pictures of my work and also some other samples I was working on for an upcoming wedding. Saturday was DS's prom so I had pictures of that on my camera as well. I lent my camera to DS and now it is no where to be found. I contacted the venue place, the after party home, etc..(DS swears it was in his overnight bag), so now I am out the camera and my pictures.
Since doing the huge order, my hand is absolutely killing me. I am having problems squeezing the piping bag and squeeze bottles. I have had a crazy week order wise so this has become a real issue. I am scheduling a Dr's appt. to have it checked out.
One of the orders I did this week was a shipping order. I received a phone call from the customer stating that half of the cookies arrived broken. I have shipped many a time, without issue-but did another order for her and shipped it out at my expense.
Received two phone calls on Thursday wanting cookies for Saturday. One of the people actually chewed me out because I couldn't do it in 2 days. I have never hung up on a customer until now.

I think I am just questioning whether or not I want this aggravation. I love doing cookies-just not this week! I am glad it is Friday!

12 replies
kneadacookie Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 13

so sorry you're having a rough time!!!!

my hands do that once in awhile. i have to wear an arm brace to bed at night now. maybe they can give you a brace to wear. you'll be back to normal soon.

i really hope your camera shows up. sometimes i get nervous because it seems as thought my entire business is on this computer. if anything goes..... we've already had to replace the hard drive twice, and i'm not the best at backing things up. the last replacement, i lost all the pictures of my oldest graduation.

i'm floored sometimes that people can't believe you don't just have cookies sitting in the back room waiting for them.

try and get some rest this weekend!! (((((((((hugs))))))))

mommyle Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 13

Warm wishes and hugs to you. I've done in my shoulders this week, and I don't know how. But I found an AWESOME massage therapist and I can actually raise them above my head with out pain!!! So, perhaps a GOOD massage is in order (not a relaxing one, but a work-out one!).
All the best to you. Good luck!

CeeTee Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 13

I hear ya on the frustration part. My week hasn't been sunshine and rainbows either. TGIF!!!

Hopefully the camera will pop up soon, and in the last place you would ever think to look for it. icon_smile.gif And Good for you for hanging up on that customer. Her last minute lollygagging is not your problem or crisis.

If you can swing it, take a day off and do nothing but veg out. Take a long bath, go window shopping at the mall, or reading a good book. And take heart in knowing that there's always tomorrow and the worst is behind you. icon_smile.gif

PaulaT Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 13

So sorry to hear you are a little burned out but you are so talented - you do fabulous work. I think a little pampering is in order. Take care lady and try to take a well deserved break! Enjoy your weekend - Yankeegal. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 13

After 2200 cookies, it's no wonder that your hands are hurting. You are not used to that much, all at once.

The stressors don't help matters, either. First prom, then the son losing the camera. Stressors prevent healing, so even though you may not be using your hands much right now, they will take longer to recover.

Get some Calgon, a cold bottle of Asti, a couple of candles, and post a death if disturbed warning on your bathroom door.. Take a nice hot bath, have some sips in the warmth and candle light, and relax.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 13

I can only sorta imagine what your hand must feel like after all those cookies! I screwed up my wrist doing a bunch of bingo card cookies two weeks ago, and it still hurts. (Maybe it's sympathy pains for how you must be feeling).

Don't let rude people ruin your day (coming from someone who obsesses about everything). They have no clue how long it takes to decorate your works of art that go by the name of "cookies".

Hope everything gets better for you!

SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 13

don't give up on something you are obviously passionate about. Every once in a while we get into funks... I had one last summer that I swore I would never get out of.... cakes sinking, icing sliding, airbrush issues.... you just have to remember that tomorrow is another day. As others have side, take some time off and do something for you for a change. I would still see the doc just to ensure nothing is going on, but chances are you probably over worked your hands with that huge order. One suggestion I might make about mailing (which I have yet to try) is to require the cookies be insured, so you can recoup your money.... I don't know if that is doable, but it sounds reasonable.. then next time you won't have to pay out of your pocket for something the shipping carrier most likely caused. HTH... good luck and chin up icon_smile.gif the weekend is upon us!

playingwithsugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 13

SugarBakerz has a good point about insuring the cookies in the future. If you ship via USPS, the insurance is relatively inexpensive.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

yankeegal Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks everyone!! I knew you would all understand-You guys are the best!

bakinccc Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:49am
post #11 of 13

I sympathize with you. I thought after Christmas that I'd ruined my wrist too, but it was temporary, thank goodness. Ibuprofen and rest helped. Today I took a day off for me and went out to lunch/movie/shopping with a friend. It was exactly what I needed! Make SURE you do the same. We don't want you hurt since you're such a big inspiration to many here on cc!! Good luck with your hand and don't give that 'hang-up' call another thought. icon_smile.gif

Joanne914 Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #12 of 13

Hang in there Jodie...we are all behind you. Just try to relax (I know that it's hard sometimes!) rest your arm and hand...heck...rest your entire self! Spend time with your family, because that's what's the most important. Cranky customers and broken cookies will come and go, but family and friends will always be there for you.

By the way, I think the "camera prom gods" were after my daughter as well.
She went to her prom last Friday night. She did come home with her camera, but it was totally broken! Someone backed into her while she was taking a pic, and the camera fell to the marble floor. There went the camera! icon_cry.gif

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your son's camera shows up!

McMama Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 13

Geez yankeegal -don't quit doing cookies. I love looking at them. I agree you need some time off along with some pampering. Hope your camera shows up soon. I swear I put my name and telephone number on everything I own. It has come in handy many, many times! Looking forward to many more cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%