Freezing Cake For 6 Days

Decorating By whitet4 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm by mad11

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 13

I am making my son's birthday cake on Friday, and was wondering if it would be ok to start on another cake I have to be delivered on the following Thursday. Would it be ok in the freezer for that long? (Just baked and then wrapped and put in the freezer)

12 replies
laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 13

I always bake and freeze in advance and it works out fine. I use saran wrap, then tin foil. Sometimes I also add a layer if press n seal too just to make sure it sealed really good. I have never had any problems. thumbs_up.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 13

I've frozen for up to 2 weeks and I know others have done it much longer. You'll be great!

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 13

Definitely! I do it all the time.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 13

something i found on the web.

1.  Select the cake wrapping. The cake must be protected from freezer condensation by using a moisture-proof wrapping. Suggested wrappings include:
o  greaseproof paper thoroughly covering the cake and taped
o  aluminium foil, or aluminium foil and plastic wrap/greasproof paper underneath it
o  plastic self-sealing bag
o  placement of wrapped cake into a metallic tin if desired (protects the cakes from being knocked by other items, makes it very easy to find and provides added protection from moisture and freezer odours, such as seafood)
2.  Select the cake type. Most cakes will freeze well, even most iced cakes. Things to consider are:
Uniced cake: in general, uniced cakes are fine to freeze apart from those with little or no fat.
Iced/frosted cake: most frostings are okay to freeze but avoid freezing icing/frosting that contains cream cheese, egg, fresh cream or boiled versions; candy frostings can freeze for about 4 weeks and buttercream frostings freeze very well for a couple of months.
Wedding cake and Christmas cake icing/frosting: this uncooked confectioner's icing freezes well for a long time.
Not suitable to freeze
Filling: Avoid freezing cream or cream cheese filled cakes.
o  Cake with no fat: Not ideal to freeze as likely to lose its moisture content and dry out too much.
3.  Wrap the cake. The process of wrapping the cake differs slightly depending on whether or not it is iced/frosted:
o  Wrap an uniced cake and place in the freezer;
o  Place an iced cake into the freezer until the icing hardens. Then wrap in plastic wrap or greaseproof paper and finish with a layer of aluminium foil.
4.  Freeze within time limits. Whilst freezing initially retains the moisture of a pre-baked cake, cakes will tend to dry out after two months of freezing and you can expect the flavour to change at around four months. A good guide to follow is:
o  Freeze uniced/undecorated cakes for up to three months
o  Freeze iced cakes for up to two months
5.  Freeze cake mixture. It is possible to freeze cake mixture that hasn't been baked yet. Either place in an airtight container or place in a pre-prepared baking tin or muffin pan, already greased or lined with baking paper. Freeze uncovered first and then wrap tightly in plastic or foil once frozen.
6.  Thaw. To thaw a frozen cake, this depends on whether or not it is iced:
o  For an uniced cake: leave it on a wire rack in a clean part of the kitchen. Do not microwave or oven heat a frozen cake or you will ruin it. It will take about two hours for a large cake to thaw under normal room temperature conditions.
o  For an iced cake: let it thaw in the refrigerator. This will prevent condensation from forming on the icing/frosting.Unwrap it first to prevent the icing sticking to the wrapping.
o  Uncooked mixture: this will take about 2 - 3 hours to thaw and can be thawed at room temperature.
⢠ Sponge cakes can also be frozen.
⢠ It can be helpful to wrap slices or layers of cake, so that you only have to defrost the part of the cake that you will consume or use at that time.
⢠ Always ensure that a cake has cooled completely before freezing.
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you Diane!
This answers many of my questions.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 13

That is such helpful info! I was just in the hospital with food poisoning, so I was going to ask about freezing because I"m scared to death of leaving an iced cake out for too long!!!

Thanks!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 13

thanks for the tips, diane!!

i was just wondering if cooling a cake first befoer freezing or putting it into the freezer while it is still warm made a difference....your notes stated that it should be cooled completely before freezing so that answered my questions!

thanks again!!!

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 13

Can you freeze a fully decorated fondant cake?? I'm just wondering if the fondant will be ok as it comes to room tempature. I use Satin Ice, and I've put it in the fridge many times without problems, but never the freezer.

Thanks!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 13

The cake should definitely be cooled before freezing.
Freezing while warm/hot can cause moisture and bacteria. There is a long discussion of this somewhere on the site, from a year or so ago, but sorry to say I don't have a link.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 13

thank you...what wonderful information!!!!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 13

WHOA.....BACTERIA!!!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

I definitely will be cooling my cakes!!!!!! I am glad to know that!!!

mad11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad11 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 13

How well do box mix cakes freeze? I only bake for fun and I've never made one far enough ahead to freeze it. This month is busy for me though and I'm planning to do a cake that I would like to bake ahead of time so I won't be so rushed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%