Doctored Cake Mix With Pudding Added... How The Heck?

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 24 May 2008 , 2:47pm by Pghnana

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 18

Ok so ive looked and looked and looked for a Vanilla cake and Chocolate cake recipe with adding a pudding mix to it.. but I cant find one??? Am I totally blind? I tried to make it myself but the batter was super thick! If anyone knows where i can find the recipe or tells me how to make a cake mix taste super yummy for vanilla and chocolate that would be WONDERFUL!!! Thanks sooo much

17 replies
tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 18

Here is a link to the recipe on CC. I made it yesterday and I love it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 18

I was going to suggest the durable cake mix recipe here also. However, when I made it, the cake wasn't completely done even with using flower nails in the center. I use 3" deep pans though. I experimented with the recipe at least 4 times and just couldn't master it.

I use this recipe for all my cakes and so far have had real good luck with it:
1 box Duncan Hines cake mix (any flavor) - for the chocolate mixes I decrease the water to 3/4 cup, especially the Devils Food cake one
1 packet of Dream Whip
4 eggs
1 cup of water
Bake at 350; time depends on size of pan.

You can also use the liquid coffee creamers, Amaretto for example, and adjust the liquid: 1/2 cup water; 1/2 cup of creamer. I've also recently started adding about a Tbsp of the Wedding Bouquet or Creme Bouquet flavorings to the mixture.

Good luck on your ventures with recipes!! thumbs_up.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 18

Here's a recipe I found on CC ( sorry didn't copy the posters name!)

I love it but it tends to stick to the pan- I bake @ 325 until sides pull away and top bounces back

Has anyone else had this problem- Should I cut down on the sour cream?

Thanks- Really love the taste so want to solve this!

I use DH cake mix according to box directions then add:
1/2 box (4 serving size) instant pudding
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
mix on medium for 4 min.
you will have to spread the batter evenly into your pan(s)
because it won't spread by itself.
Makes a very rich moist cake.

SweetStuff30 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecake

Here's a recipe I found on CC ( sorry didn't copy the posters name!)

I use DH cake mix according to box directions then add:
1/2 box (4 serving size) instant pudding
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
mix on medium for 4 min.
you will have to spread the batter evenly into your pan(s)
because it won't spread by itself.
Makes a very rich moist cake.

Do you not add eggs to this?? Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 18

wooops sorry cant read! ahaha I see where the eggs go in icon_redface.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 18

This is what I use and always get raves about-
1 bx duncan hines
1 bx instant pudding that goes with cake flavor-I use cheesecake, vanilla or white choc with a white mix.
Add the pudding mix-dry-when you add the cake mix. I add all the other ingred. listed on the mix. So that the batter isn't too thick I add extra water. If the mix calls for 1 1/4C water I add an extra 1/4C water, if it calls for 1 1/3 C water, I add an extra 1/3C water-add these amounts PER BOX of cake mix. Works great, easy & cheap icon_smile.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 18

thanks so much!! im getting over whelmed with sooo many diffrernt ways of doing things!! I think for my first wedding cake i will use jsut the basic pudding recipie and after that start tryign out other ways too when its not such a big stressful cake! icon_smile.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 18

thanks so much!! im getting over whelmed with sooo many diffrernt ways of doing things!! I think for my first wedding cake i will use jsut the basic pudding recipie and after that start tryign out other ways too when its not such a big stressful cake! icon_smile.gif

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 18

Okay, I haven't tried the doctored mixes yet but was wondering, how much more mix do you get out of this compared to a regular box of mix?

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 18

Okay, I haven't tried the doctored mixes yet but was wondering, how much more mix do you get out of this compared to a regular box of mix?

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 18

I usually use the cake mix extender recipe (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-1-Cake-Mix-extender.html) and substitute half of the sugar for a small packet of pudding.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 18

Just add a small packet of instant pudding and an extra egg to each mix. Yes the batter is super thick (especially when making the chocolate cake), but that makes it super yummy! Takes a little longer to bake as well. Bake at 325!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 18

I do what sugarspice does with the water measurement...if it calls for 1 1/4 I add 1/4 more water or if it calls for 1 1/3, I add 1/3 c more water with 1 egg per box of pudding. I use 1 small box of pudding per 1 box of Betty Crocker....everyone always raves how moist my cakes are

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 18

here's what i do (adapted from the Firm Chocolate Cake recipe found here)

1 box cake mix ( I always use Betty Crocker)*
1 box dry pudding mix (4 serving size)*
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water

I sift my box mix before putting it in the bowl (thanks indydebi). Then add pudding mix dry, then add remaining ingredients. Mix on low for 30 secs, scrape bowl, then mix on medium for about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes. Batter will be VERY thick. Produces a moist yet very dense cake that will hold up under the weight of fondant.

*I use cake & pudding mixes that compliment (for example - french vanilla cake, french vanilla pudding or chocolate fudge cake & chocolate fudge pudding). I had a woman at school today tell me she could NOT believe it wasn't a from-scratch cake.

Pghnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pghnana Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 18

Just curious. Why add sour cream? Does it add to the texture or flavor of the cake?

Pghnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pghnana Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 18

Just curious. Why add sour cream? Does it add to the texture or flavor of the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%