Decorating By Mike1394 Updated 16 May 2008 , 6:56pm by Mike1394

Mike1394 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 4

To put it plainly I suck LOL. I can't write on a cake to save my butt. Dyslexia is NOT my friend. I've even gone as far as printing out third grade letter writing pages, and practiced on them.

Does anyone have a KopyKake projector, and would it help. I think it would, but does it do a good job of projecting the image?

3 replies
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

My writing is awful and there is nothing worse than working on a beautiful cake and then have it look amateurish when I have to add writing. I try to avoid it if at all possible or write on the cake board so that I can wipe away my mistakes but when I MUST write, I use one of two methods.

Pin prick method: This only works on crusting icing. Pring out your message in whatever size/type font you want. Then take a pin and poke holes to "trace" the text, which will leave you with a raised imprint of your text on the back of the paper. Lightly press your newly created stencil on the icing and then you will have a faint outline of dots that you can trace with your icing. My fire dept. related cupcake cakes in my gallery were done with this method, along with the teddy bear shower cake and the Elmo 1st birthday cake.

You can also use a transfer method - also best with crusting icing. Create your message in a word processing program, and then print IN REVERSE. You can then pipe or trace the text with pipine gel, then turn over and press lightly on your cake. Then just trace the piping gel outline with whatever icing you want.

Good luck! Even with both of these methods, writing is still a challenge for me.

pastryjen Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 4

What about making a flag or ribbon out of paper with the words printed on it?

Mike1394 Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks AWESOME, choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%