Warped Cake Base

Decorating By Digit Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:59pm by Digit

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone figure this one out for me:

I have used the wilton silver cake bases before and have had no problems. I recently purchased one from Cakes by Sam. I put my cake on it last night and woke up this morning to find the 1/2" thick cake base completely bowed in the middle! Each side is raised 1/4" off the table! The board was brand new, so it didn't have any cuts in the foil. Plus, the cake itself is sitting on a separate contact paper covered board on top of the silver cake base. So, where did the moisture come from? The bottom of the cake base did not get wet, there are no grease spots on the bottom. Anyone have any idea what may have caused it to warp?! And, yes, the board was level when I started.

Thanks,

Digit

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe Humidity caused it. Thats the only thing i can think of off hand.

Digit Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the only thing I could think of too, but I'd be really surprised if that were the reason. We haven't had any rain. If it were humidity, I'd think it would have warped the week before, without the cake on it, when we did have a lot of rain. This one's got me stumped. I'm doing my first wedding cake in August (when it WILL be humid) and I need to use one of these boards for that cake. I'm a little nervous about using it now.

Oh, and I moved the cake off of the warped board onto a new 1/2" one that I made myself and had no problems. ? I'm stumped on this one! Maybe I should just make my own from now on!

Thanks!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 7

I had that happen once.. the first time I covered my board with fondant... it warped.. BUT once I put my cake on it it leveled out.. I can't for the life of me imagine what happened to your board to warp WITH the cake on it.. maybe a defective board? broken some where in the middle under the wrapping? You should take it apart to check THEN call Cakesbysam or send them an email because they are VERY good about standing by their product icon_smile.gif

HTH's icon_smile.gif

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 7

if its the wilton brand that cakes by sam is selling because ive had nothing but bad luck with these boards they warp or bend and end up ruining a cake or 2 so i always do my own if i use cardboard that way you can make sure that the grain in the cardboard cross hatch to make them stronger... but ive started using masoinite boards and asking for a deposit to cover the cost if i dont get them back, these are especially good for big heavy cakes.

julia

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 7

My 1st thought was "Oh no, Wilton drums icon_sad.gif"
I've heard nothing but BAD reports about them.
Sorry, can't help really just letting you know Wilton drums have a bad rep.

Digit Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 7

I did email cakes by Sam. I haven't heard back from them yet. I had a problem with an order a while back and they fixed it right away. No hassles. They were good at customer service.

At least I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem with boards. I don't think it was a wilton brand board. I have some of those, and the one I got from Sam's has a different foil on it. But after hearing from you guys, I'll stay away from the wilton ones.

I've been thinking about having my husband cut some wood/masonite boards for me. That'd be the best. No worries about warping or bending and causing icing to crack! I haven't done it yet because of the expense of the wood. Duh, I didn't think of making it a rental item and asking for a deposit! I'm definitely making my own from now on. The fewer headaches the better!

Thanks everyone, for your responses!! Very much appreciated!

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%