Delivery Or Pick Up Of Whimsy Cake???

Decorating By LovelyCreations Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm by cakecakelady

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 17

Hi! Okay...my dilemma...I'm doing my first whimsy cake for my cousin's bday this weekend. I was sure to let everyone know that I would do the cake but wouldn't be able to be at the party due to another commitment. So my aunt and I decided we would meet somewhere for her to get it. So...I baked the tiers for the cake last night, assembled them and QUICKLY realized - OMGoodness this thing is going to be HUGE icon_eek.gif once it's all together! How on earth am I going to get this to her assembled? icon_cry.gif

I understand to put it together as a normal stacked cake, however, this thing is pretty wobbly as it is and it's very tall. Is there any possible way for me to give it her assembled???? icon_confused.gif

16 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 17

Is there anyway that you can drop it off at the house earlier? I don't know if I would TRUST anyone with my cakes, unless it was a simple sheet cake! lol

LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 17

I thought about that too. It's just so out of my way from where I'm going. Oh well. Guess that's just what I'll have to do.

Thanks for replying! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 17

Did you place the dowels for each tier far enough away from the center so you could put a center dowel in? It really does make a difference

LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 17

I haven't gotten that far yet. I was still wiggin on the fact that I had to get this to them already assembled. But I just got off the phone with my aunt and what we decided to do is for me to just take it over there tonight and assemble it there so it will be ready for the party tomorrow.

Another thing is that this is a really tall cake so I'm not sure how to put the center dowel in. ??? I obviously can do one for the bottom tier but what about the other two? I've only ever done two tier cakes before and those were pretty simple...dowels around and then hammer the center dowel through both but how would I do it for these???

LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 17

Sorry for all of the questions but my cousin is so excited about this cake that now I'm really nervous and hope I can get it right for her.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 17

how many tiers is this cake??? you can buy really long dowels...just sharpen it and hammer it in from the top...all the way through...

LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 17

It's 3 tiers of three 2 inch cakes. !!! I've never seen dowels longer than the normal Wilton ones.

KASCARLETT Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 17

RELAX!! You will be fine! I'm glad you decided to drop it off because something like that really worries me! I'm the type of person that I even worry when I am delivering a sheet cake! I just wouldn't trust my hard work to anyone, unless it's my husband because he knows how I am!

If you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's or other craft store (shoot, I think you can even find them at Walmart - at least you used too), you can just find a long wooden dowel rod and cut it to size, but make sure you do before you put it in the cake!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 17

Lowes and Home Depot carry them too.

LovelyCreations Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 17

Oh yay! I have all of the above just a stones throw away! Thank you KASCARLETT and Donnagardner! I believe you have just saved my cake! icon_smile.gif You CCers are the best!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 17

Oh, how in the world could I forget about Home Depot and Lowe's??? My husband lives in them! lol

You're welcome LovelyCakes and don't forget the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 17

I just did this cake (sorry for the pic it's a pic of a pic lol) and it was 3 layers of 3 layer cakes and I used a regular dowel.........it was just maybe 2" too short so all I did when it got close to the top of the top cake is to align another dowel directly on top and use that as sort of a "nail setter" and pounded on the second dowel which sent the original dowel down into the cake, then slowly pull the second dowel up and out. It worked perfectlly. I delivered this cake fully assembled!
LL

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 17

Can't wait to see the pic. Just remember to not put any of the dowels that support each tier in the center. I had mine to close in my topsy turvy & it wasn't good. Thankfully it was tasty & was just for family. It'll be ok though!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #15 of 17

OH NO! Don't get your long dowels at Lowes or HOME DEPOT especially! I hope you get this in time... they are soaked in Fungicide to prevent mold, which means the chemicals are just released once its suck into moist cake! My friend in Atlanta put 10 guests in the hospital with a Home Depot dowel, they tested the dowels and that was the chemical that was ailing these people. ONLY use food safe dowels. PLEASE! For your family's sake! I hope you get this soon enough icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #16 of 17

Wilton dowels are long enough fro three tiers!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cakecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecakelady Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 17

I would like to know what sizes of cake Khalstead used for her cake. Very nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%