Dorothy The Dinosaur

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 19 May 2008 , 5:48pm by lu9129

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #1 of 9

Hi

I plan on making a cake for my neices birthday. She is turning 3 and obsessed with Dorothy. I have been brain storming so I can do things ahead of time instead of last minute like normal.

I have been thinking of doing either a carved cake based on the dragon one from Debbie Brown.

The other thing I have been thinking is to do a simple stacked cake but cut out white pickets at least the height of the cake and sticking these to the side and then making a Dorothy figurine in the middle (ditting on oreo cookie dirt) surrounded by roses. I was leaning towards this because I could make the roses, pickets and dorothy figure all ahead of time.

If I am using MMF mixed with tylose how long ahead can I do it? I assume roses can be made weeks ahead if kept in an air tight container. What about the figurine? Will it crack as it dries?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

8 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 9

I made a Wiggles cake for my DD and made the figures and started the figures and car a couple of months ahead of time!! there are pics in my photos if you want some ideas

ahuvas Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 9

THanks. I will make up the fondant next week and get started. Just a quick question re: weight of Dorothy if made out of gumpaste/MMF. I would imagine it would be very heavy even if its just the size of a jar of jam/coffee. Should I put it on a base and dowel the bottom layers?

ahuvas Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 9

Also do you remember what colour you made dorothy from?

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 9

Here is the links to the cake I made for my little girl last year. I made Dorothy, the arch and roses ahead of time and I should have made the pickets ahead of time too. feel free to use this idea. They are two different views.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1028173.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1028203.html

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 9

I did Dorothy's head as a smash cake. It was my 1st time doing a fondant cake. Learning who the Wiggle's were and a fondant cake wore me out!!!! lol.. It was a true experience!!!!! lol

Lu

ahuvas Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 9

Rikash your cake is where I originally got the idea from (although modified somewhat) - although I saw it on another website - not cake central. Its gorgeous!

ahuvas Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 9

Lu - Is that poured fondant on her head? Its so smooth!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 9

The fondant I used is MMF. I had some flat tool that the lady said I needed to do fondant with. That is all I did. Thank you for the compliment.

lu

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%