My Worst Nightmare.. Need To Make Burgandy

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 17 May 2008 , 12:06am by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:10am
post #1 of 13

I have the worst time making this color and I need it for a grad. cake.

Any tips ?????

Thanks a lot

12 replies
Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:38am
post #2 of 13

I find that a really "safe" way to mix colors is to add them separately in batches. For exemple, for burgandy I would mix a lot of blueish-red paste into some white frosting or fondant (whichever medium you are using), them mix some brown paste into another bowl of frosting, then combine the two in small quantities paying attention to the ratio. Sometimes, I even mix yet another bowl of gray to tone my colors down if needed. I know it seems like a lot of works very well for me! icon_smile.gif

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:42am
post #3 of 13

Are you making burgundy fondant or BC? If you only need burgundy fondant for accents I made some last weekend. I just used the Wilton premade red fondant and added some burgundy color gel. Didn't take much at all and it was a beautiful color. I wouldn't cover a whole cake in the stuff though. icon_smile.gif

HTH
Ellen

wgoat5 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:45am
post #4 of 13

Well I need the burgandy for fondant accents and buttercream accents

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:46am
post #5 of 13

Hi Christi, isn't this is the color you want? Its Americolor soft gel paste.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=858

wgoat5 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:51am
post #6 of 13

I have that color my friend but it doesn't seem to turn it a true burgandy icon_sad.gif

OOOhhhh I hate this color lol

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:03am
post #7 of 13

So sorry Christi, I wasn't much help there, was I? Have you got the wilton's burgandy color as well?

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #8 of 13

Burgundy color.... try with red, with black.... Some people is crazy with colors. Two days ago was lady in my bakery who want gold color in buttercream. I told her, I can put some gold dust on fondant, but she want bringth, sparkle, gold color on a graduation cake covered in buttercream....

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #9 of 13

I made burgandy fondant for a bridal shower cake (in my photos) with almost an entire bottle of Wilton burgandy. Too bad you didn't live closer and you could have the left-overs I still have!

The colour did deepen over night so you might want to start making the coloured stuff a day or two ahead of time so that you can let it sit and deepen.

HTH!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 13

I had to make burgundy for my sons college graduation cake (TX A&M).
It was a few years ago but I believe I used red and brown. Since them I have found it at my local cake shop. Americolor makes it. The newest color that I will have to mix is eggplant for a wedding in August. I went to my local art store and bought a color wheel. It works great. It tells me what colors to mix to get what I want. It is a great investment. The wheel was all of $4.00.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 13

When I made burgundy, I used Wilton Burgundy, and added BLACK, little by little. I finally got it to the right color for what I needed

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 13

Start with red and add a little purple...works every time!

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:06am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much for your tips icon_smile.gif

It is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%