Making Sand Stick????

Decorating By deanwithana Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 4:24am by deanwithana

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone!!!! I am making a Luau themed cake for Friday so I am hoping I can resolve this pretty quickly and know that I can count on the trusty CC members!!!! This will be the first time that I am making sand and I have read a few options of graham crackers, brown sugar, etc. This is a fondant cake.........what do I need to put down on the fondant (buttercream, piping gel, etc) to make the sand stick and where it will look mounded??? Please help!!! I really appreciate it!!!

2 replies
waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:43am
post #2 of 3

I wouldn't use sugar. Been there. Done it. WAY too sweet! Nobody could eat it. And I have people in my family that can almost eat sugar straight. I plan on using graham cracker crumbs next time. With piping gel or buttercream underneath as the "glue". Since you want to "mound it" I'd use buttercream. Or for less icing, I used those small mini rounds pan that has 6 molds in it. They are half circles. You put two together and you make a small ball. Anyway, I used one of those to make a mound so I wouldn't have to use so much icing. It worked relly well. Just cut them in half and adjust them by sliding one a little to the side of the other one
and offset them to look more like dunes. then buttercream them onto the cake. Then drape on your fondant. Then brush on piping gel. Then sprinkle on your crumbs. I'm using pipng gel for the water tinted blue. I did that last time and it was very pretty. I'm going to mix that edible glitter with the graham crackers to make the sand sparkle. Good luck with yours. I'm doing mine tomorrow for a friends daughters birthday. I'm doing that yellow popular cartoon characters beach front. He's the candle.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 3

Thank you!!! This helps a ton!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%