Bakery Owners-Do You Display Prices & Description

Business By joy5678 Updated 18 May 2008 , 2:17am by southerncake

joy5678 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #1 of 8

I've noticed in some bakerys that I've visited there are no prices displayed on the items in the display cases. Also there are no signs to tell customers what the individual items are. ex. (lemon squares, cherry pie, etc.) I rather just look to see what I want & how much it costs without asking for all the information. What do you do & why or why not? This will help me in the future to know what to do in my shop. Thanks for your insight on this.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 8

I'm getting ready to turn the front of my space into cookie/cake retail and yes, I will have everything labeled. I'm not interested in repeating over and over and over the answer to questions of "what is this? what is that? how about that one?". That would take longer for each transaction and delay the next person in line.

I have six teenage girls working for me and whenever I show them how to so something, I tell them, "it takes less time this way ... and what is time?" They all answer in unison, 'MONEY!" icon_lol.gif (ahh..... the grasshoppers learn well!)

MichelleM77 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 8

As a consumer, if I walk into a store and there are no prices listed, I automatically assume they are very high and I will not ask, I'll just leave and go somewhere else. I don't get why any bakery would do this. I also do this on business websites. If the information isn't there, I'll find a place that has it and go with them.

indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

. I also do this on business websites. If the information isn't there, I'll find a place that has it and go with them.

Brides tell me the same thing ... as they shop for their food and cake, if the pricing isn't there, they are clicking out and looking elsewhere.

Auryn Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 8

I feel the same way.
I have literally walked out of bakeries because of the no price thing- and when it comes to sweets its hard for me to turn away.
Maybe I just have $5 in my pocket and want to treat myself to something, I don't want to have to bother someone to know what it is and how much it is.

A lot of people are also too timid to ask and will just walk out without making a purchase.

joy5678 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all! I feel the same way & want to label everything for the same reasons you listed. OK, I'm not crazy, so now I know "this is a good thing!" icon_smile.gif

jadak Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

As a consumer, if I walk into a store and there are no prices listed, I automatically assume they are very high and I will not ask, I'll just leave and go somewhere else. I don't get why any bakery would do this. I also do this on business websites. If the information isn't there, I'll find a place that has it and go with them.

I'm the same way. Frankly, I do not have the time to ask what everything is and how much it costs. I'm surprised they'd have the time---as Indydebi mentioned---to answer all kinds of questions from multiple customers. I'm the same with websites too. If I have to contact them to get prices, someone else gets my business.

southerncake Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 8

I'm with the others in that I cannot stand when the prices are not displayed. I don't, however, list my cake prices on my website. There are so many variables that go into the price of each custom cake. I do, however, list prices for my other products.

I typically walk into a bakery knowing how much I want to spend and I'm moe likely to pick out one little thing or nothing at all if no prices are shown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%