How Much Is Too Much?

Decorating By kcmom3 Updated 16 May 2008 , 12:32pm by indydebi

kcmom3 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 5

newby here wanting to know about how many cakes on average can you sanely take on in one weekend? just a ball park figure.

4 replies
bigmama1961 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #2 of 5

WELL I HAVE FOR SAT IS 3, HALF SHEET CAKES, BARBIE CAKE, BRIDAL SHOWER CAKE,STEVEN MCQUEEN FROM CARS, AND A JERGERY SHIT CAKE TO MAKE.THATS ABOUT ALL I CAN HANDLE AT HOME BUT I BAKE FRI MORNING DECORAT THAT NIGHT,BUT I MAKE MY ICEING UP BY THE BUCKET THE DAY BEFORE.THIS MAKES IT EASIER FOR ME.

Shola Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:28am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmama1961

WELL I HAVE FOR SAT IS 3, HALF SHEET CAKES, BARBIE CAKE, BRIDAL SHOWER CAKE,STEVEN MCQUEEN FROM CARS, AND A JERGERY CAKE TO MAKE.THATS ABOUT ALL I CAN HANDLE AT HOME BUT I BAKE FRI MORNING DECORAT THAT NIGHT,BUT I MAKE MY ICEING UP BY THE BUCKET THE DAY BEFORE.THIS MAKES IT EASIER FOR ME.

WOW! You must have a spatula in each hand a piping bag between your toes! icon_lol.gif
Just out of curiosity what is a Jergery sh** cake??! icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 5

Well, I have 6 wedding cakes, 2 groom's cakes and a coupe of tiny anniversary cakes this weekend. All from my licensed home kitchen and just me, with DH to help deliver. And a candy order.

I've found that I can get out about 950 servings of cake by myself in a weekend. I've found it helpful to think in terms of servings, rather than number of cakes.

indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 5

I have to balance catering and cakes. Last weekend I had 3 wedding cakes .... 13 tiers (one was the hand-cut chocolate city skyline) plus 2 buffets and 2 shower sheet cakes. These all came immediately after I finished a 5-day-all-day catering job.

The volume I can book is affected depending on if it's a drop 'n run or an event I have to stay and staff, and where the event is being held. For example, I can do 3 wedding/caterings in one day if they are timed right and close. I had one that was for 300 people and it was over an hour away, so that was the only booking I could take for that day.

what kills me is when I have to spend 2 days driving around buying food supplies. It helps now that I've set up truck deliveries but there are still some things I can only get at walmart or at sam's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%