Frosting A Frozen Cake? Questions??

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm by busymom9431

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

I freeze my cakes. I typically frost them frozen and put them in the cooler and let them sit overnight, an then do a finally coat. They stay in the cooler until delivery.

I have a real problem condenstation- ?sp? so I was thinking what if once I pull it from the freezer I leave it out??
My frosting has water so no dairy. I am just wondering if I let the condensation happen after the crumb coat, will the final coat work okay? Do I need to wipe off the water before doing the final coat?

Any help would be great, Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 5

I prefer to ice my cakes at room temp. I remove them from the freezer the night before icing. They sit, wrapped in plastic, at room temp overnight. Next day, I remove the plastic wrap about 30 minutes before icing to allow surface moisture to evaporate. Any moisture left just gets mixed in with the crumb coat.

That said, if I'm icing a carved cake or a very delicate chocolate cake, I'll pop the thawed cake back into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes just to firm up the outside. By the time I'm finished getting the icing on, it's pretty much returned to room temp so condensation is not a problem.

I don't like to crumb coat while the cake is frozen because it tends to slide off as the cake thaws! I crumb coat my cakes immediately before icing.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #3 of 5

I crumb coat my cake at rm temp (crusting buttercream) and then freeze. When frozen, I ice and decorate. Just be careful of dark colours bleeding or ice it, let it thaw and then finish decorating. If you do get some condensation, you could gentley pup a paper towel on it to soak up any moisture.

HTH and doesn't just confuse you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 5

Yrs ago I had soooooooo much trouble w/icing falling off in big slabs then I figured out it was because I was icing them fzn. Once I stopped doing that the icing stopped falling off!
I definately agree w/Diane leave them at room temp until delivery. I know many feel a cold cake will travel better but there is always the problem of condensation. Usually if you just leave the cake alone the sweat will evaporate and everything will be find afterall.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 5

I was in a hurry and found out the hard way not to ice a frozen cake. It was last minute so I threw the cake in the freezer until morning and pulled it out and put the crumb coat on while the cake was frozen. It seemed fine until I had iced it and it was sitting waiting for delivery and there was a HUGE bubble in the side where the icing was pulling away. Lucky for me I caught it in time and I poked a hole in it with a skewer and kept an eye on it................long story, sorry. Were there air bubbles or what? I am not sure what happened but I know I won't be doing that method again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%