Serving Quote

Decorating By jamhays Updated 15 May 2008 , 11:56pm by indydebi

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

I know how to use the chart to figure the serving size amounts for certain size cakes.

But how do you determine HOW many servings a client needs when they want a quote for a wedding cake & grooms cake for a wedding w/200 guest?

I know which pans to use to get the amount I want, but how do you know what that amount is?

EXAMPLE: you wouldn't make the wedding cake @ 150 servings & the grooms @ 50, or what?

6 replies
mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 7

hmm, i have never done a wedding so i don't know really. i would think (mind you, not knowing anything) that the wedding cake should serve all the 200 and the grooms cake is just and extra option for people??? how does that work?

ashley

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

I have seen websites in which the baker/bakery requires the grooms cake to be at least the same size as the weddign cake. So a guestlist of 200 would have a 100 serving weddign cake and a 100 serving groom's cake.

I just ask the bride how she wants it done. The few groom's cakes I've done have been in addition to the wedding cake. Expected headcount is 200 .... wedding cake is for 200 and small, token groom's cake for 25. Total cake sold = 225 servings! Since I frequently do weddings where I do the food and they get the cake elsewhere, I can also say that the groom's cake is rarely, if ever, actually cut at the wedding. I think I've seen only 2 that were cut for the guests. They end up just being a centerpiece for display.

Ask the bride how big/small she wants the groom's cake. I'd never take it upon myself to decide for her.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 7

I charge the wedding cake separate from the groom's cake (in the off-chance that I am asked to make one!).

If a client says they want a wedding cake for 200 ppl, they pay for a wedding cake for 200 ppl. If they want a groom's cake, they pay for a groom's cake as well.

If they wanted to include servings from the groom's cake as servings for their guests, I'd be willing to negotiate and make a wedding cake for 175 and a grooms' cake for 25 (for example).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 7

Yah, I agree w/Debi - ask the bride. They often have some idea based on the style/theme of the cake they want.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 7

Bride is clueless on cake. I asked her how many servings she needed, she told me she didn't know & she needed ME to tell her how much cake would be enough.

So I will just figure the wedding cake for the amount of servings requested and do the groom's cake seperate. I just wasn't sure, because nobody had ever asked me that before.

Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7

Oh brother! I see a bride who is going to overspend on EVERYTHING!

If she needs you to tell her how many servings she needs, tell her she needs 1000 servings! I'll bet she comes up with a number real quick! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%