Per Serving Charge Based On Tier/2-Layer/1-Layer Cakes?!?!

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 15 May 2008 , 11:36pm by indydebi

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering what sort of "mark-up" from a 1 layer sheet cake per serving for a tiered cake versus a 2 layer kitchen cake? And how is that justified to the customer?

Thanks so much for the help!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 4

They are getting twice the cake....

single layer 11x15 serves 35 (2x2x2" pieces .... cut 5 rows by 7 columns).
double layer 11x15 serves 70 (1x2x4" pieces ... cut 7 rows by 10 columns ... with some scrap left over).

"cubic inches" of cake is the same .... 2x2x2=8; 1x2x4=8.

I dont' differentiate for wedding cakes that are tiered, sheet, or kitchen. It's all the same to me ... same cake, same work, same price. I don't charge extra for design, so the fact that the sheet cake isn't "decorated" is the same as a wedding cake with just a ribbon .... same work, same price.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with indydebi... there is no justification or trying to explain why they pay more. They are receiving twice the amount of cake so they can pay twice the amount of money.

My servings are also based on 8 cubic inches of cake (see debi's post above for single and double layer sizes) I don't care what event the cake is for, they pay per serving no matter what they want.

If the customer wants a 6" tall cake then they will pay 3 times the amount of a single layer because they are getting 3 times the amount of cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 4

And just as a P.S. .... I don't "justify" my pricing to the customer. If you are trying to justify it, then it sounds like you are apologizing for it.

My pricing is what it is. Not everyone can afford me and that's ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%