Wedding Cake Construction?

Decorating By missd98cr Updated 15 May 2008 , 11:42pm by indydebi

missd98cr Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 3

I'm going to be making my first wedding cake. I'm having a hard time understanding how to stack it without the plates showing. I know you have to put dowels in each tier to support the next tier, but how in the world do you hide the plates under the each tier? I'm not using columns, so the tiers will be stacked directly onto each other. Any and all help is VERY welcome!!!

Thanks!

2 replies
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 3

If it's a stacked cake (no pillars), you don't have to use plates. Just the cardboard under the cake is fine. I don't wrap the cardboads, and no, they will NOT sog up so bad that they won't support the cake (a common misconception I see on here). I assemble them on Thursday for a Sat wedding..... I cut 95% of my wedding cakes, so I see first hand how the cardboard is affected ... and it's not really affected. Works just fine.

If you are more comfortable using plates, what I used to do is put a 10" cake on a 10" cardboard, then put that on an 8" plate. Also, don't use the scalloped plates ... use the smooth edged plates (the scallops stick out).

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 3

dupl thread ... see add'l responses under http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587209-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%